Thursday 20 January 2022

From AngusW: US Cavalry Troopers (Pendraken)(200 points)

In an effort to try and reel in my daughter and her friends I've chosen this winter to focus on getting together enough figures to play 'Pony Wars: B Troops Ain't Coming Back'. After wrestling with which scale to choose I decided upon 10mm (Pendraken is local to me, I also feel like I'm helping the local economy plus Leon is a lovely chap).

To start the challenge I thought I'd get the bulk of the US Cavalry done and masochistically set off and did 100 cavalry troopers. To be honest, that many in one go became a bit of a grind. I think I'm going to do batches of 50ish next time.

The biggest problem I have with them has been taking pictures. 100 troopers will not fit in my little lightbox thing. I have attempted three photo shoots to take the pictures, they have all turned out disappointing. I tried my DSLR with flash, without flash, with LED lighting, with natural lighting and finally just with my iphone with the troops under the natural night.

The pictures below are DSLR without flash and have been through lightroom to try and take out the orange hue cast by the light.




100 x 10mm cavalry @2pts each = 200pts.


That's a very impressive squadron! I hope we get to see more of your Pony Wars. A big bite like 100 cavalry all at once can be a grind, but it is rewarding once done.

Barks

16 comments:

  1. These look great. Nothing beats the satisfaction of getting a large volume done in batch painting, even if it is a hard slog when you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive bunch of little troopers, Angus! Good to have you back and avoiding The Great Cull. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a daunting task! The photos give a good impression though, the figures look really nice. 10mm gives a great impression of mass, while still retaining lots of character. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look. You could try putting just part of them in the lightbox, so we could see them in more detail, perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I the words of Father Ted , maybe they are not small , just far away !

      Delete
  6. These look great Angus.
    I appreciate your photography pain, although I just use the conservatory on a not too sunny day now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angus:
    I do enough 6mm figures to appreciate how much work you’ve put into these guys and it shows. Well done. They look effective and make me want to sing “ She Wore A Yellow Ribbon”. Lovely.
    I thought they were from the new Baccus Pony Wars range for a moment.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Angus! I consider doing 10 different 10mm sculpts at the same time to be a grind...so 100...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looking like a big force Angus, you are going to need a lot of Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope this is just what you needed to reel your daughter and her friends to the table! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Angus, great to have you back. I have painted Pendraken figures and they are nice indeed. Love the massed troopers in your photos, they look great. What figure scale are you using? At 10mm you could do it 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  12. They may be tiny but they look grand!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid looking tiny cavalry but oh so nicely done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - those are smashing, Matey! Well done!

    ReplyDelete