Thursday 20 January 2022

From AlanD: Back to the German Revolution (70 points)


Over the past few years, I keep coming back to the German Revolution as a period and gaming project that particularly interests me. In my last submission in AHPC XI, I painted up some revolutionary sailors, and here we are again finishing off a few bits and bobs that I didn't get finished last year.



First up are some more revolutionary sailors, manning a nice model of a MG08. As with all the figures here, I removed their 'puddle' bases so that I could stick them directly onto cobblestone bases, a process that involved a file, knife, harsh language and sometimes blood.



Inspired by watching Babylon Berlin, I've added some Berlin Sicherheitspolizei cops (SiPos) this year. Although they came to be called the 'Green' police, due to the green uniforms they wore, my understanding is that they wore blue during the early post-WWI period, including during the 1919 Spartacist Uprising. I haven't been able to get a clear answer to when their uniforms changed, so if anybody happens to know, I'd appreciate being enlightened! The armed cops here, as well as the sailors, are from the lovely range of figures by Tsuba Miniatures, available here in Australia from Elite Miniatures. Directing the SiPos is the Inspektor, a hard-bitten veteran of the worst the streets of Berlin has to offer. He's a Copplestone figure I had lying around.

Of course, the elephant in the room is the Schupo Sonderwagen, seen lurking in the pics above. What a beast! Built by Daimler, this was one of the main armoured cars used by the Sicherheitspolizei in the early 1920s, although one example survived all the way up to 1945, its wreck featuring in some well-known photographs taken outside the Reichskanzlei after the Battle of Berlin. I do love these inter-war armoured cars.




Points:
7 x figures and one prone - 37.5
1 x crew-served weapon - 10
1 x vehicle - 20
Total - 67.5 points please Barks!

The Inspektor really looks the part, but the Sonderwagen is a little treat. I, too, love these period ACs. I'm going to round you up to 70 points in sympathy with your struggle against puddle bases.

Barks

27 comments:

  1. Very cool Alan! I do hope the ratio of blood-to-cursing while removing those puddle bases was a reasonable one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great figures and a really interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, puddle base removal can be a dangerous hobby. These look great though. I love the Armoured car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on those. Another really rare period being painted up in this years challenge. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great models for a very cool period!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take it there were blood sacrifices to the gods of Hobbying in the process? Great figures and basing, but that armoured car is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice especially that armored car.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the history to go with your post! The armoured car is so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! I love the Schupo Sonderwagen. Have seen it at the Panzer Museum in Munster a few years back and suddenly knew how a 28mm figure must feel next to a 1/48 scale vehicle ;-)
    Very well done on the Sailers and the Schupo too. A conflict that really should see more covering. As it happens I‘ve been at a Monument in Munich remembering the fallen of the German Revolution just today.
    Till 1920 the Schupo was supposed to wear the same greenish grey uniform as the Jäger of the just defeated imperial Army had worn. Supply and fiscal issues meant that many wore whatever uniforms of the old army were available. In 1920 then the Berlin Schupo started to introduce the blue uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely bit of 'on-the-ground' history. Thanks for that Nick!

      Delete
    2. You don’t talk about the 1/48 bit, are you?

      Delete
    3. Thanks Nick! I would like to see that monument. What was the difference between the SiPo and the SchuPo? I thought I painted Sicherheitspolizei, but now I wonder?

      Delete
    4. I‘ll try to remember to take pictures when I’m back there.
      I did some over simplification above: The SiPo, which was intended as a paramilitary anti-riot police was supposed to wear Jäger Uniforms. It was formed in 1919 and was more or less immediately disbanded again in 1920 by decree of the Entente and merged (again) with the Schutzmannschaften, which were the the ordinary Protection Police. Together they now formed the so called Schutzpolizei (Schupo) and wore the bluish uniforms. So in effect you can get away with however you like to paint your SiPo/ SchuPo as I‘m rather sure even after 1920 it still took a little while to equip all the police men with the correct uniforms.

      Maybe of some interest to you:
      The Sipo/ Schupo and their imperial predecessors were federal state police, while the Schutzmannschaften originally were communal police until 1919. Also there were the Gendarmen in smaller cities and on the countryside, which were regarded as members of the military.

      Delete
    5. Ah! Thank you so much for your clear explanation. That helps me understand much more clearly. Please also let me know if there is anything obviously incorrect in how I've painted them!

      Delete
    6. You’re welcome. Didn’t notice anything you painted wrong. As I said you can get away with almost anything short of pink uniforms ;-)

      Delete
  10. Very nice miniatures from a rare era. Interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm so happy that you've returned to this project Alan - so atmospheric and characterful. I almost expect Bernie Gunther to step out of the photo. Now you need some cabaret flappers for your background scenes (Sarah and I LOVE Babylon Berlin - esp the music).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need more civilians. It's hard finding bystanders that look right - lots of Victorians around, and US gangster types, but I can't find too many that really fit the feel of 1920ish Berlin. Babylon Berlin is great isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Check out Eureka's line. Their 1920s dancers and jazz band would work quite nicely, I think. Also, Artizan and Musketeer have some nice interwar civilian types.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this post - very interesting stuff and love the armoured car.

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice figures and armoured car, Dux! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. THanks for the lovely comments. This project is far from finished, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely revolution era forces and the armoured car is judt great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stuff Alan, an often overlooked period.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That’s a great entry and full of atmosphere. You deserve extra points for shedding blood! That AC is a brute! I really must watch Babylon Berlin.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wild and crazy vehicle, lovely to see it all painted up and on display.

    ReplyDelete