Thursday 20 January 2022

From SamuliS: Spanish monster hunters (Sarah's Star Yacht & Babylon 5) (80 points)

Time for my next entry to what  is shaping up to be quite a trendy subject in this years challenge with my first band of monster hunters for Silver Bayonet. Here is my version of the Spanish starter warband that has already been painted a few times for the challenge by other talented participants! Decided to start with them as I've always kind of wanted to collect some Spanish Napoleonics, but never really got around to it as our clubs games have mostly focused on other campaigns than the Peninsular. And white uniforms always look so dashing (and horribly impractical).

Really nice sculpts with well defined detail and minimal cleanup required. These were quite a breeze to paint and really left me itching for some more. Might have to buy a blister or two of different spaniards to enlarge the group a bit for some other game systems as well.


With this entry I'm going for a double on the quadrant map with first a short voyage on Lady Sarah's Star Yacht with a landing at Babylon 5 for some low budget fun. The whole setting of Silver Bayonet seems to be like a storyline for some penny dreadfuls with supernatural horrors besieging our heroes. Seems fitting as cheap horror and adventure fiction got their start not long after the Napoleonic period where Silver Bayonet takes place.

 

8 figures in 28mm scale and two stops on the star quadrant comes in at a nice 80 points extra for my tally. I seem to be doing a lot better in the challenge than I originally anticipated, though gathering points from the star quadrant has certainly helped in the effort!

I am enjoying all this Silver Bayonet action much more than I had anticipated! You've done these Spaniards proud.

Barks

16 comments:

  1. I love the rich colours and painting. That is one grumpy looking Spanish lady; perhaps a dude in disguise (look at her forearms!😁).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess she's had time to gather some muscle doing all the hard work while the men were lounging around sipping wine and holding heated discussion :D

      Delete
  2. Great painting - I think I like the monk character best. Yes I am also tempted by Silver Bayonets - have you played a game yet?

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez! Still haven't played a game. I need to paint up another posse still and I was planning to hold demo games at our club after.

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking figures Samuli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine looking gang, Samuli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking Napoleonic Spanish ghostbusters!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, white as uniform (unless related to snow) is quite strange indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these monster hunters. Love the purple jacket

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sceptical about the whole Silver Bayonet business but am really enjoying all the excellent submissions we’ve seen in this year’s Challenge. These are great sculpts and your brushwork brings out the character. I love the monk’s two-toned beard which reminds me of Brian Blessed.
    I wonder if these Spaniards could work with the French against their sinister adversaries, or will old hatred be too strong to resist?
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a treat to see different takes on the same figures. So much creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fine looking bunch Samuli! SB seems to be the latest hype around here

    ReplyDelete