Sunday 2 January 2022

KenR : 28mm Garibaldi Firing Line (122 pts)

 

No surprises here as the second unit of Garibaldi Infantry rolls off the production line, I am in a bit of a groove with these and as I have 6 units of 24 prepped I may as well keep going until I get bored !

The figures are from Gringo 40 who do a really good range for the period, I have chosen to pose this unit as a firing line, which reminded me why I had gone for deeper 60 x 60 bases. This time I moved the ranks of figures to the rear of the bases to protect the muskets !

They are well detailed and give a nice "uniformed" but a bit revolutionary look. For this unit I have randomised the facings a bit more than the first unit. I've mixed in full, piped and no facings, the addition of kepi troops (both piped and un-piped) also adds to the look. This unit has been given white trousers with red stripes, I like to have some sort of theme for units like this, not for any historical accuracy mind, just to make putting thousands of the little guys away in a box in the same units at the end of a big game !

This is a full unit for the Challenge, unlike the last one which I had done a test base for prior to the start so this one is a full claim of 24 figures at 5pts a piece for 28mm and that adds another 120 points to my total.

I've decided to give the planetary journey a miss this year to try and keep my focus on this Project so I have already started on the next unit of Garibaldi, aiming at 6 figures (or a base) each day I'm off work. I've also got a small amount of Cavalry / Mounted Officers so the horses for those figures are being oiled up as we speak.

Just to finish here is a picture of the Project to date


____________________________

Fabulous work again, Ken! The firing poses give a nice variation from the previous advancing unit.  I also like the addition of the red-striped trousers to give them a little more uniqueness. GregB and I have based our Napoleonics much the same as you, with a more elongated base to help protect the muskets and bayonets. It's certainly paid-off over the years! 

I've added a couple of points for the banners as I'm not sure if I did for the previous unit.

You'll be missed in the starlanes Ken, but I understand the need for focus (though I rarely follow it). I look forward to seeing this project move forward in leaps and bounds during the Challenge.

- Curt


32 comments:

  1. As usual, you are really cranking them out. I'm really digging these uniforms- very distinct with the russet/red uniforms, the light blue/grey cloaks and the piping on the trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, blasting through them so far 👍

      Delete
  2. More splendid Garabaldi goodness, lovely stuff!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely stuff. That muted red is beautiful and the trouser stripes are so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, thankfully the figures have a nice line on the trousers to follow 😁

      Delete
  4. Nice to see this coming along Ken - what are you using for red paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Red base is Burnt Red (Vallejo Model Colour) ,then my usual "drag brush" technique getting progressively lighter, Vallejo Game Colour Heavy Red, Model Colour Flat Red and then I mix a touch of Orange in to highlight elbows etc 👍

      Delete
  5. Superb Ken, they are really great. Are you building them for the Austrian -Italian wars?

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, at the moment I am building both sides for a display game of The Battle of Mentana which was between Garibaldi and a Papal / French force in 1867.

      Delete
  6. You’ve done such a good job of creating a deep, true red on these. They really are eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Natasha, I did loads of white last year and this year everything is Red 😄

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers Barks, avoiding the Planets thing this year as I have loads to do on this Project 9

      Delete
  8. I really admire your output, both quantity and quality (as I have probably said before), and I really admire your focus as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, it's the way to get Big Projects done, head down and Go !

      Delete
  9. Brilliant work Ken!

    I have a question, when did you get the bionics op? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it will slow down when I go back to work on Friday 😄

      Delete
  10. Another marvelous unit. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are bloody marvellous Ken, like them a lot. I’m glad you remembered to set the figures back In the deep bases this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I think I need a permanent minder 😁 Cheers Peter 👍

      Delete
  12. Smashing colours, they look brilliant all ranked up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. those are some truly cool redshirts Ken!

    ReplyDelete