Monday 26 December 2022

From PaulO'G: Last War Trench Squad

The Living will Envy the Dead...

The battleground of the Last War is inhabited by the despairing, entirely without hope. Former causes have now been extinguished by an endless struggle for pointless survival. Equipped with the failing relics of industry produced by once proud nations, these scavengers now scrap over the dwindling remains of this once proud world...

I enjoyed making this base and its mysterious signage...

The Last War system has players controlling small bands (5-6 figs) of Trench fighters in narrative style scenarios to fight battlefield horrors in a desperate bid to win resources to enable their continued existence. Encounters can be head to head, coop, or solo, which provides a lot of great play options.

Posed in front of the pdf rules cover

My first trenchers are styled after the Kaiser's army but now reduced to desperate survivors.  Models are by Knucklebones miniatures and I have added some extra bits (stick grenades, Grenade satchel, backpack, trench shield) to customise them. The dog came from another sculptor on 3dcults.


I've painted them in a thematically Grimdark style, experimenting with adding textures and using some Abteilung 502 oil washes.  I also spent far more time than usual scratch building each base and liberally applied Vallejo water gel effects to give it all a sodden, miserable vibe.  


The glow from the gasmask lenses and complete lack of visible flesh tries to convey their devolution and reduced humanity. But I could be overthinking it.  On the bright side, they have a puppy to keep their spirits up! ('Trench companions' play a valuable role in the game).

Love the tattered rags adorning these models

In their bunker they have a damaged pianola, salvaged from a long destroyed Chateau and now haunted by a powerful but unknown spirit.  And if one wishes to hear it play, homage must be paid to the duck with the curiously bleeding eyes inside its rasping gasmask...  (Piano also by Knucklebones)

Yes, in my obsessive madness I painted each key individually; what was I thinking...


I had a lot of fun obsessing over these models, so yes it was (yet) another of those 'sweat all the details well beyond any points efficiency which is irrelevant' projects. Thats 6 x 28mm figs plus one more for the piano/duck combo - call it 35 points if the festive spirit endures :-)

______________________________

Wonderful work Paul! I love all the thought and effort you took in bringing these figures to realization. I have a bunch of Knucklebones stuff waiting in the wings, including some variations on some models seen here, and now I'm very inspired to give them a go.Your grimdark style looks amazing combined with these models. Well done sir!

- Curt

31 comments:

  1. That's definitely a bonkers setting, Paul - nice work on these weird figures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin - Between this and Turnip28 I'm in a bonkers kind of place at the moment!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work! The glowing lenses are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB - gives them a weird, haunted vibe!

      Delete
  3. An interesting set of figures, Paul. I especially love the little duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was quite taken with him also and he was a 'must include' part of the project!

      Delete
  4. Completely mad, I’d say, but within that framework brilliantly done. The piano with duck is really out of this world, but the figures really have that worn-out, tired feeling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both Grim and Dark. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully creepy and grotty mate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the need to wash my hands just looking at these! Very thematic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a grim setting! But the painting work really matchs the atmosphere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks indeed, I find it very evocative and darkly inspiring

      Delete
  9. You’ve really nailed the theme mate, top work on the painting and the bases!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grim, dark, I love it!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  11. The duck and Pianola is bonkers ... but I love it!
    Terrific photography too, very cinematic and evocative of this very grim setting

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the trenches, Paul! I haven't lived the horror they have and will experience, but I certainly can remember the cold mud and heavy feel of it! I like all the extra details you gave them too! The piano and duck are wonderfully bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are amazing! The duck wins though, cute lil fella.

    How do you find The Last War? I have just started playing it recently and I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete