Saturday 25 March 2023

From GregB - AHPC XIII Wrap Up

I may live in Ontario now, but it is still "Go Jets go!" for me...

Hey everyone! Another AHPC has come and gone, and my feelings are similar to so many of yours - glad to have finished some stuff, pleasantly surprised at finishing some stuff and a little disappointed I didn't get to some other stuff. But that's just stuff, and there will always be more stuff to paint, right?

A photo of the Hyawatha Highlands cross-country ski trails, taken in January of this year, mid-Challenge. Had to do something between painting Space Marine squads!

This year's output was dominated by a particular passion for GW's "Age of Darkness" setting, and I was particularly pleased to have cranked out another 68 or so Space Marines for the collection. But I was quite pleased to have made a dent in my "Star Wars" pile of shame - and to manage to get into some long-overdue historical projects, such as the Varangian Guard and Hospitaller Knights. The Varangians saw service on the gaming table last week, one of the most fun games I have enjoyed in years (even if the !@#!@#ing Normans ran over them in the end) - those sorts of sudden projects, inspired by gaming friends, are the most fun, and most fun to share. 

Once more...this time with my trusty companion Joey. He "helps" me paint, and keep an eye out for the right priorities in life!

Thanks to all for sharing their work and passion for the hobby, and for encouraging others. Thanks to Curt for hosting and the Minions for their work helping things go along. I also have to recognize my wonderful wife Linda, who puts up with my hobby, and the mess it sometimes (always) makes because she recognizes that it is something I enjoy so much. She even took these photos for me, and she enjoys seeing the work of all the participants.

Cheers to all, and hope to "see" you all back here next time!

29 comments:

  1. Great challenge Greg. I enjoyed seeing your Spam especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done - looks like a good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fantastic Challenge under your belt, Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin, and thanks as always for taking the time to comment - each and every time! All the best to you.

      Delete
  4. That is a fabulous shot of you and Joey, Greg! You had a great Challenge and I really enjoyed every one of your entries, especially your Byzantines and the Crusaders. Beautiful stuff, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude, and thanks so much for hosting another AHPC!

      Delete
  5. Great summary Greg and loved the introduction to Joey! And I wish I still could enjoy winters like that - back here in the South of England we never get real snow and I miss the winters we used to enjoy in New England and setting out on our snowshoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - yes, winter in northern Ontario can be a charming and fun experience (at least, until March that is). All the best to you!

      Delete
  6. Well done on a great Challenge Greg, great to see your various faithful public servants collected (and your loyal painting assistant!) - I've really enjoyed seeing these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Geoff your GW stuff is so good that it makes me want to look at a new period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Kerry - and I'm always pleased to try and push other hobbyists in new directions :)

      Delete
  8. Well done, Greg, Lots of Space Marines and a fabulous unit of Varangian guardsmen. I really liked those! And thanks for your nice comments too, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martijn - my pleasure, and thanks for your support!

      Delete
  9. Well done ... but still recovering from the surprise when you posted the Hospitaliers and they were NOT the guys in black robes with white crosses I was expecting... really shocked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha glad I could surprise you Benito! All the best to you...

      Delete
  10. Very nice, Greg! That's almost a chapter of Space Marines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! I'll get the rest of the Chapter painted next year, I expect :)

      Delete
  11. A magnificent effort all round Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking collection, Greg. Well done. My favourites are the Varangian Guard and Hospitaller Knights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frederick - and congrats again on a crushing point total, keeping the Conscripts up near the top!

      Delete
  13. Awesome stuff Greg, love to see more next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander! Maybe we can get a 30k figure exchange going next year? I'm always looking for another Legion to paint...all the best to you!

      Delete
  14. Fantastic work, Greg! I really liked your crusaders very much. Your 30k stuff was very good, but I liked the character of the older knights. See you next season in a 30k slapfest...your SoH vs my 30k WS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very impressive Heresy output!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work as always Greg. Enjoy your "spring".

    ReplyDelete