Thursday 29 February 2024

From BruceR: ACW Command, Anglo Zulu Troops (115 points)

Greetings all and another relatively small submission this week.  Running my FIW scenario with the gang for ACon to make sure the sides are close took up some weekend time and extended family time trumped painting.  

Here are the 115th Pennsylvania Volunteers and the 5th New Jersey Volunteers command stands.  As we are using three stands to a regiment, I had painted 5 stands from my initial two sprues gifted by my gamer friend.  I had taken the plunge with a boxed set and upon arrival decided I could sit down and crank out two command stands and now have four regiments ready for battle.  I keep taking different routes with these and used a lighter blue on the pants, a contrast which needs two coats, but still faster than the standard acrylic paint method.  Added some red to the drums to brighten the front rank, add the flags and done.  Hope you like them.




I've added the previously painted stands showing the full regiment.

Next, I've headed back to my Anglo Zulu war project.  These are my British and I've added green as facings for the 24th foot at Rorke's Drift.  Why not right?  In  doing some background reading the regiment was initially from Warwickshire County.  In 1873 the garrison was moved to Brecon in South Wales.  In 1881 renamed the South Wales Borderers.  Fun little trivia to discover.  


These as well are 15mm and I started with contrasts.  I believe they are Blue Moon Manufacturing. The models were not overly crisp.  The faces are not well defined, likely older molds.  After contrast I did wash, and highlight, so not sure I saved any time with these figures.  In the end they turned out fine and will allow us to give The Men Who Would Be Kings a run out with my Zulus painted earlier in the challenge.  I do have a few other British and some mounted forces.  Not sure I'll get to them this challenge.  



The officer and sergeant are trying to point out targets for troopers. 




Points:
ACW 15mm @2 pts 40 figures           = 80 pts
Anglo Zulu War 15mm @2 15 figs    = 30 pts
Total                                                    = 110 pts 

Have a great week and weekend.  See you next Thursday.
Climate note, we hit 60 degrees (F) Monday (record) snow storm Tuesday, -9 this morning.  Feel like a yo-yo.

Cheers, stay well.  
Bruce

TeemuL: Good looking last minute addition to the ACW force, Bruce. How very different those 15mm minis look when based single compared to based on ranked. Nicely painted minis all together, your different routes look equally good, but it is always refreshing to try out different methods. I'll give you 5 bonus points for the flags and good looking bases, making the total 115 (just like the 115th Pennsylvania Volunteers!).

9 comments:

  1. The Union troops look great, but I really like those Brits! Though they’d better stay away from a place called Isandlwana I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Bruce. In particular you have achieved a really nice effect on those Union soldiers, they look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work on all of the 15s. Those colonials really look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb, its always good to see what you paint Bruce, those ACW figures are just so good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those zulu war Brits are really well done! Great work!

    ReplyDelete