Saturday 26 January 2019

From MilesR: 1/600 Union 90 Day Gunboat (16 points)

 A very small submission but in keeping with my diatribe over separating out side duel related submissions.  I present to you a 1/600 scale Union "90-Day Boat" From Thoroughbred Miniatures.  This is a model of the USS Itasca and is approx 4 inches long.  I needed to build it fast as she saw her first action the next day at the club:

 I re-staged the Battle of Mobile Bay from the American Civil War.  Sadly, her tabletop debut was not the most glorious as she was run aground by mistake and surrendered to the garrison of Fort Morgan.  


I think this little model is the equivalent of 2 15mm vehicles but will leave it to Curt, who is as fair as he is wise.  These statements are not mere groveling flattery attempting to influence his most munificent judgment since they are true in nature.

There may be a few more posts coming for this Saturday.


_________________________

Very nice, Miles. No, not your flattery (thought that is nice) but the gunboat. I like that you used the clear acrylic for the bases - smart move. What rules do you use for these?

I have a load of mangled, but painted Thoroughbred miniatures sitting in a box that was dropped during a cross-country move. Each time I open it I quietly sniff, and close it up again, not willing to undertake the huge job of fixing all the damage. BUT seeing entries like this really makes me want to take up the task. 


I love the aerial shot of Fort Morgan. I spent a wonderful year in Southern Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana and enjoyed several sun-kissed days re-enacting at that fort. 

16 points towards your Nautical Duel - Well done, Mr. Reidy.


10 comments:

  1. Well done Miles. So in scale speed 90days/600=3 hours and 36 minutes - were you on schedule?
    Very nice looking model, but your toadying has much to be improved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got her done in about an hour!

    As for rules, I'm partial to sail and steam navies.

    Curt - we could have been neighbors (almost) - I grew up in Bayo LaBatre Alabama and spent my summers on Dauphin Island. The was many a day I would sail my sunfish from Fort Gaines to Fort Morgan. The wreck of the Tecumseh is a grand fishing spot for redfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also spent summers sailing a Sunfish Miles, sailing on Halifax’s Northwest Arm and outer harbour

      Delete
  3. I skippered a sunfish once back in the day. Memory is kind of hazy, since I took the boom in the side of the head mid-maneuver.

    Thoroughbred are nice models, and Civil War naval in 1/600 is a blast. My preferred rule set is Smoke on the Water, and I have lots of fond memories.

    Very nice gunboat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving these ships. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice gunboat! Very Victorian!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking boat, your game certainly looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice ship Miles, even if her debut was so inglorious :)

    ReplyDelete