Saturday 26 January 2019

From DaveD: Blenheims & Swallows Wings of Glory extras (32 Points)

Turns out that this has been aircraft week - maybe I should have joined the squirrel nutkins duel.

I am starting a 1940 Wings of Glory campaign game with one of the guys from the Old Guard group next week. I have most of the WWII aircraft produced for the game, however they don’t make a Blenheim and there is an early scenario in the campaign that calls for 2 Bristol Blenheim bombers - fortunately Zvesda do one in the same 1/200th scale So I have cracked on to complete the two required this week. It is a nice little kit to put together and looks good, - again I will get some propeller spinners sorted once I get all the aircraft completed over this challenge.

right lads there is bridge around here somewhere  that needs bombing 



I also picked up a couple of resin ME262s from Armaments in Miniature in the US to add to the late war collection in an attempt to give my allied bomber fleet some more opposition. The game system doesn't have these released officially but a few guys in the Wings of Glory forum have produced stats and movement cards etc. I have made up some magnetic gimble mounts for attaching these to the flight stands - as it nice see these banking as they turn and swoop like the "Schwalbe" (Swallow) they are named for!

these nasties have 4x  30mm cannon , equal to 4 D chits in the game




These should give my bombers of the Mighty 8th something to think about.

So altogether 4 x 1/200th aircraft - points? Over to the best minion ever!

This weeks completions as we approach a third of the way through the challenge takes me to a third of my target total as well, so on track nicely.  I have used up almost all my fully prepped stuff now so I have a day of sorting out the next projects tomorrow i think.

___________________________________

Wow, you've done absolutely gorgeous work on these aircraft, Dave. The camo and aerial markings on all of them looks so crisp and clean. Also, this is a genre where (listen here Peter) proper decals are a virtual necessity - they just finish off the models so beautifully.

They look terrific all arrayed on your 10,000 foot mat with the light cloud beyond - you can almost hear both the roar and drone of their engines and the staccato of their guns. (I picked up one of those aerial mats a few months ago and am very much looking forward to trying it out with Blood Red Skies sometime soon.)

As to points I'm going to place these as the equivalent of a 15mm vehicle (due to having to portray the underside). So 32 for the four of them. Lovely work Mr.D!

Curt


22 comments:

  1. Ah indeed yes, proper decals . I used the sets by I94 , I don’t normally have any bother with them . I used a decal solution “Micro Sol” to help apply them.. Peter it’s easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful planes. And nicely displayed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice but can they do an Immelmann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff Miles. I am a big fan of the Blenheims and related a/c so you're tugging on the heart strings with this post. Love the 262s too, but it's a bit cruel to pose them up against the Blenheims.

    And yes Curt, armour and aircraft require in all but the smallest scales require decals, which is why I don't touch model armour or aircraft with a ten foot pole. Fact is I'd likely have better luck applying decals with the ten foot pole than with the Vienna sausages I've got stapled on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome planes mate, those GI bombers really are my favourites, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely early war blenheims! Gorgeous late ware 262s!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great and really like the background too!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it really works well with these models.

      Delete
    2. Cheers .. I like to take a little time on the pics - glad you appreciate it

      Delete
  8. Top flight submission there, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Dave! Those are some lovely little planes! Though probably not the fairest of match ups!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look lovely, really vibrant colours.

    ReplyDelete