Thursday 24 January 2019

From PeterD for Thursday 28mm SYW Buildings

The two new buildings.  The figures were completed before the challenge


La Belle Alliance in the rear, cart shed to the left and farmhouse to the right.

Much to my own surprise I have stuff to post this week, and am in fact holding back on figures that I could post saving them for next week.  Plus I've made in roads into projects for each of the next three bonus rounds.  This happens when one's kid is in grad school; and one's wife is across the country looking after a mother post surgery.

What I am going to post this week is two more of the marvellous 28mm mdf kits from Sarissa precision.  These will feature in my Seven Year's War project for Western Germany
Close up of cart shed, the interior wall is half timbered with brick fill, basically it's a cut down version of the end wall.

First up is the Cart Shed from their English Timber Framed range.  It bears a close family resemblance to the farm house that I posted last week and painted up just as nicely. My only mod was to once again add black card stock to the windows to hide what's inside, although the wide open barn doors leave less to the imagination.  These doors also left me a challenge as the etched detail on one interior wall is clearly visible from outside.  I put the kit together in a wild rush of excitement and perhaps should have painted the interior walls first, but I think I managed to make it all look OK.  
Backside of the cart shed.  Should probably do a quick wash over the brickworks.

Next up is the La Belle Alliance Inn from field of Waterloo, and from Sarissa's Old Europe range .  They've done a number of buildings from Waterloo and I quite fancy the Chateau at Papelotte and the Church at Placenoit for future projects.  My model is both south east of Flanders and in a different linguistic zone, so I have google translated the name to Die Schon Allianz.  No mods other than the black card stock and different colours of paint, although I did include the optional shutters and a sign.
Die Schon Allianz, again needed a wash on the bricks

I ran possible names past StefanK, and he noted that French wikipedia says that the name refers to a marriage between a beautiful young woman and the grumpy old owner.  Meanwhile English wikipedia notes that the woman acquired the ownership of the tavern and two other buildings via inheritance from 3 of her 4 husbands!  I did up the sign on card stock featuring Hogarth print from his Before and After series, it seemed to fit.
Quite happy with the sign but need to regale bottom right corner

These two buildings were painted from bare mdf with out priming, I find that if I maintain a light touch the mdf gives interesting textures through the paint.  I've also had discussions with Sarissa on the whole prime/don't prime debate.  They say that the detail will hold up unless I apply the primer with a trowel and that they've been known to get a kit painted up badly and then prime it and repaint it without losing details.  Good to know, but I'm not planning to try that!
This shot shows that the roofs lift off and that the two timber framed ones have upper floors that also life out (note the cut out on the upper left corner)
Upper floors lifted out.  The rafter system is very good.  Note that the cart shed's interior wall is only on the ground floor.


I converted the dimensions on the Sarissa sight to king's noses and the math shows that Die Schonn Allianz is 194/216=90% and the cart shed is 98/216=45% of a cubic terrain unit respectively.  The Hessian Erbprinz Regiment was completed just before this challenge and I think started just at the end of the last challenge!  I finally got around to adding unit labels and flags and they have yet to appear in the blogosphere as a finished unit.



Byron and Curt were asking about the scale of the buildings so have two shots with Hessian Erbprinz Regiment to show that they look good with 28s.
MilesR: Well, well Peter - you're becoming a real estate titan in miniature.  We should discuss financing options as I have several products that - oh wait that's a discussion for another time.  These buildings look fantastic  and I love the poster on the end.  The Sarissa products are really nice but you've made them even better.  My only gripe is that you're forcing me to do math by adding your infernal fractions together.  Lets see .9 plus .45 equals -500 points.  It's math so it must be right.

Oops I made a mistake, it actually adds to 1.35 which equals 29 points (when one includes the 2 bonus points added for the poster.

31 comments:

  1. Thanks Miles. I was wondering if you'd be interested in a collateralized debt obligation on these properties! I have may have bigger debt issues arising as I entered into what fear may turn into a dark pact when I acquired two other MDf properties from the Snow Lord!
    Points and comments appreciated, have a good day of minioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! 'You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave.' ;P

      Delete
    2. Why of course I'd like to help out with your financing needs. It's the joy on the faces of our customers that provides the real return for us Financial types. May I suggest a Interest-Only mortgage with 6 months forgiveness and a 13 month balloon payment? There are some legal words the government nannies make me include which are complete gibberish. It's really not worth your time to read - just sign the docs and get back to painting with a smile on your face. As I've said many times before, you can trust me - I'm a financial services professional.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Peter. The poster is a cool touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy. I figure that every local boozer needs a sign, plus back in the 1760s not everyone was literate so the sign needs a picture.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done Peter! Should the bug bite you one day, these buildings would also come in handy for WW2... just sayin‘.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. The thought has occurred to me too, as they would fit nicely into Normandy or West wall battles. That bug has landed on me but yet bite me hard enough to infect me.

      Delete
  4. Nice work Peter. I look forward to seeing these at a future SYW game hosted at your place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done! I like how you can barely see the tabs in the roof,I think you're wash option is a good call!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The tabs more or less fit into the shingle pattern.

      Delete
  6. Great buildings and some useful tips on painting mdf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like their buildings and you have done them proud. I also paint theirs without primer

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashing job on these, terrain always pays you back when painted by really making the tabletop pop, I do dislike bare MDF buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I am always amused by those that dislike painting terrain, these made a pleasant change from the fine detail work and unlike figures they start to look good right from the get go.

      Delete
  9. Great work Peter. The buildings look excellent.

    ReplyDelete