Thursday 31 January 2019

From NickJ - Flaming Bull Horns (30 Points)

Ahem. Once upon a kind of Magic...

For those of you unfamiliar with the GW Age of Sigmar I suspect this week’s entry will consist of plenty of “What The Fudge is that?!”

I can only apologise in advance. And apologies for any photo issues as my camera batteries died and I've ended up using my iPhone instead...

Previously in the Tale of Endless Spells we’ve met a flock of purple ravens and a glowy stick, er staff, carrying Shaman. Now allow me to introduce the other 2 Endless Spells that our wonderfully nuts Shaman can generate

First we have a Horn. Or to be more precise a Doomblast Dirgehorn


The blurb says: "Drawn from beneath the earth, animal bones are fused into the shape of a giant horn". As you do.

Hence I tried to give it a bone like look


The flames were going to be orange until my son piped up with the comment "you should do them blue". Not one to say no off I went; couple of tips from the group and I'm quite pleased with the overall effect
The main advantage of the blue is that now all of the spells are varied in their colour schemes as you'll see in a minute when I pull out Spell #3


The effect on the battlefield of this spell is to render it harder for the enemy to hit you in combat as their minds are, allegedly, stripped of their sanity. Nice.

Which leads me to Spell #3. Pictures speak volumes so here then is the Wildfire Taurus
Yes you are seeing what you think you're seeing. That's half a bull. On fire. He stands a whopping 100mm and is 130mm from tip to tail. He's a hefty chunk of plastic.


This took an age to get the skin to a colour I was happy with. He's grey with a yellow shade which seems to have turned him dark green - an unexpected but quite nice effect!
I painted flame effects in the cracks and folds of his skin to hopefully show how hot he is on the inside.


The horns, hooves and teeth have been painted bone and then washed with warmer fleshshade to hint again at the heat within.


The flames themselves include yellow base, white drybrush, red wash, orange wash, yellow wash. Lots of coats to reach the end result. Washes take ages to dry so I was able to paint my entry for the next bonus round at the same time - result!

On the battlefield this chap charges around killing stuff. Nothing subtle whatsoever.

Scoring wise I'm not sure and will leave that to my Minion - sorry Iain :-)

Horn - stands 60mm
Bull - stands 100mm and is 130mm from horns to flames

Next time something normal. Ish. Kind of normal? No probably not to be fair.

NickJ

Lovely reappearing flaming bull and horn, super finish, I'm counting your horn as a 54mm figure and the bull as a 54mm mounted figure giving you a total of 30 points, splendid!
All the best Iain

18 comments:

  1. Allow me to add the inaugural WTF to this comment trail Nick. However, whatever TF these things are you've done an effing marvelous job on them! I like the flame tones (does the horn run on different fuel than the demi-bull?) an awful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive - love the flame work. The information on colours and washes is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Nick :)

    Just a quick comment - the flame colours are the wrong way round; the brightest colours should be at the heart of the flame where it is hottest, getting darker toward the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamsin, you are absolutely correct. When painting this I had that feeling that something wasn’t quite right. Got 75% through and realised the flames were the wrong way around.

      I decided to plough on rather than restart! Next time 😀

      Delete
  4. Great job Nick. I do not follow "Age of Sigmar" closely...is there a model now for every spell??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. To answer your question yes and no! For the normal spells that are basically one shot and done there are no models; perhaps a counter to mark the effect for a turn.

      Endless spells do all have models as they roam the battlefield for ages and move every turn. There are 12 general Endless spells that any wizard can use and then each faction that gets a new release is getting 3 spells that only they can use.

      Hopefully get to try these out soon on Jamie...

      Delete
  5. Elegant and wonderful transitions and combination of colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what they are but they do look rather splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bull is the business - so weird but an absolute visual treat Outstanding brush work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no clue whatsoever about AoS but these two spells look spiffing! The flame effects on both pieces look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fan of AoS but these models look fabulous. Love the Bull!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great painting on both pieces, but the bull especially. The concept (half a cow that is on fire) seems like a modern art exhibit gone wrong, but you've done a wonderful job convincing me otherwise. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I would be an angry bull as well if I was cut in half and set on fire. Great stuff . Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kinda crazy, but beautifully painted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely WTF! Both are really good, but I really like the flaming half bull, he looks ferocious! ;)

    ReplyDelete