Wednesday 27 January 2021

From Curt: For 'The Gallery of Ancestors' - A Cave Troll and an Mordor Armoured Troll (40 Points)

I recently finished the last book of 'The Lord of the Rings' and so am quite jazzed with all things Middle-Earth. So, for the Gallery of Ancestors I offer you a venerable Cave Troll and his beefier, younger cousin from Mordor.

This fella GW produced upon the release of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' back in 2001. Yep, twenty years ago folks, can you freakin' believe it?! 

This guy's old, grumpy and all metal. Bless 'im. 

He's a repaint from a 'move failure' I had when we relocated across country. He originally has just the hammer and chain, but I've given him a nasty long hafted glaive to make him extra fearsome. While I wax nostalgic about him, he was a bit of a b@astard to put together, with a few imbedded pins and some green stuff required to make him presentable.

Next is his even larger cousin, an armoured Mordor troll from the 'Battle of Pelennor Fields' boxed set. He comes as a fairly simple plastic kit. While I'm usually not a big fan of plastic models, seemingly always shaving down seam lines or filling gaps, I have to say that this guy is quite well engineered, with lots of nifty build options.

Everyone seems to do up this brute with the huge war hammer, so, ever the contrarian, I went with the big honkin' spear instead. I kinda like this pose. I think he has a bit of a Greek hoplite look to him (if a hoplite were to weigh 800 pounds, have three fingers, and carry a Buick's worth of sheet metal on him).



Sure, this guy's cool and all, but I don't think he's as interesting as the older, metal version. The venerable cave troll has more surface texture, and his 'I'm going to clobber ya' pose seems far more dynamic to me. This being said, the two of them provide a neat contrast in design and production over the past two decades. 

These two boys are around 60 to 70mm tall, so I'll claim 10 points each. With the chamber bonus that should top me off at 40 points. Well, that's just trolltastic!


Next: Hmm, I think I need a teleport to The Tomb. Time to rustle up another female figure for the Sorceress.

- Curt

23 comments:

  1. They look great, and I love your basing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two awesome looking trolls to add to your collection, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice trolls! I keep meaning to watch those films again, but the time commitment is a bit...unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think with the extended versions they are over 10 hours long!

      Delete
  4. Excellent looking Cave Trolls Curt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking pair of trolls! I like a plastic set if I'm honest but I know what you mean about the mould lines!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic one is very nice but not as good as their most recent offerings, like for Blackstone Fortress.

      Delete
  6. They came out really aces Curt, love the bases. And yes I get the hoplite pose to the big guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work dude! I love the spear - definitely bad-ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dude! Yeah, Its a nice change from the usual fare, I think.

      Delete
  8. Double Thumbs Up - by chance just watched the Lord of the Rings extended version or maybe it is all the fantasy stuff getting posted that made me want to watch. Any hobbits coming through next? Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched them all over the holiday break - so good.

      Hobbits, hmm, I'll have to see.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic painting Curt- you've really nailed the skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I muddled around until I found something that felt right and didn't look completely horrible.

      Delete
  10. Scary looking figures ! 20 years on they still cut the mustard, cracking paint job 👏
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete