Wednesday 27 January 2021

From Barks: Skull Bomb at The Tomb (80 points)

I have pursued my quarry to the cemetery.


At the strangely wrought gates, a raven caws ominously.


The gates creak open of their own accord- what monsters lurk within?


I picked up the plastic GW 'Garden of Morr' about ten years ago, for its superb potential as gothic horror scenery. I found it has subsequently been rebranded as a 'Sigmarite Mausoleum'. I shaved off most of the Warhammer iconography (twin-tailed comets), and made hanging gate hinges out of staples cut in half.


This was my first time weathering copper, using Vallejo 72.135 Verdigris over VMC 70.999 Copper. The Verdigris is one of those bottled magic products which I applied with stippling and as a thin wash. I thought I over-egged the pudding by using Contrast Aethermatic Blue in the cracks between tiles.


I was going to have this statue as stone, but the verdigris roofs were too nice so I made the statue copper as well.


I magnetized the tomb lid.




The details are dense. I like the deep purple/ orange/ turquoise interplay.


It measures about 7x10x4 imperial inches, so I reckon 25 points?

That's 25 points to my GW side tally.


20 bonus location points for The Tomb, plus 5 points for the bonus haunters

Plus 30 points for 6x 28mm models from the Descent boardgame.



Oh, yeah, and the Skull-o-meter™ reads 375 Skullz.

------
What a treat it is to minion this post! While I am of course shocked that you would deface this hallowed Sigmarite shrine, I applaud the results. The verdigris looks spot on! And having painted one of these 5 or 6 years ago myself, I am surprised there isnt another 100 skullz on that tally! Nevertheless, this should give Stuart a good run for his money - Bravo JB, Bravo!

Cap'n Wednesday

34 comments:

  1. A really beautiful piece of work! I agree, the colour harmonies/contrasts work really well, and the whole thing is very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Excellent items!! Fantastic painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A skull bomb and no mistake. Hmm, that's more Skullz in one post than in all my entries so far. I was really rather hoping that my lead wouldn't be obliterated in one shot.

    I doff my cap at this impressive display of skullmanship. Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was counting them and they just kept coming... I thought there was only about half as many.

      Still six weeks to go!

      Delete
  4. "Skull bomb" - oh man, glorious stuff - great painting Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lot of skulls! Lovely finish, the verdigris is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Skulls, zillions of them! What a great chunk of terrain. Love the green copper effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be in my armamentarium for the future.

      Delete
  7. Thats a really great set of terrain and figures, brilliant 👏
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding work here Mr. B!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmmm, needs more skullz. Excellent job and very atmospheric painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant, really like the verdigris effects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific work Barks. You've dropped a significant skull payload with this entry, it's almost 'PaulOGian' in its over-the-topness. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Especially the way you aged the roofs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Skulls for the skulls god! Really nice result on all of the above. The roofs verdigris etc looks amazing! Love it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha now that’s a Skull-Bomb. Lovely painting on these Barks, that verdigris is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Phyllion, I’ll use it again when I can.

      Delete
  15. The copper/ bronze effect is really lifelike and the whole looks absolutely smashing! The best thing must be the staple hinges though! Great post this. And a veritable skull shower too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I had a lightbulb moment for the hinges.

      Delete