Wednesday 27 January 2021

From StuartL - I'm So Hungry, I Could Eat a World - 75 Points

Hello again. I'm just waiting for some paint to dry on my Altar entry, but in the meantime, I did manage to get some other figures off the workbench. The more eagle-eyed among you may note that they share some colours with my previous entry, though this is purely by chance. This group of minis have been taking up space at the corner of my workbench for a few weeks now, whereas the mechs I posted up were done in just a couple of days. The colours are just a coincidence.

Anyway, here is today's submission, a group of World Eater Legionnaires for the Horus Heresy setting by Games Workshop. (Or Warhammer 30K).


I started wargaming with Hero Quest and Space Crusade, but my first real taste of the Warhammer hobby was through Space Marine, the 6mm game. I remember playing massive games of that with my friends back in school. The backdrop for the original game was the Horus Heresy and I loved the background in the original rulebook. I must have read all of the short pieces of fiction a few dozen times over.


Fast forward quite a few years and the Heresy became a bit of a niche part of the hobby. Bell of Lost Souls and other online gamers started to put together rules, conversion ideas and the like for gaming in the era and I read all that I could and even tried to cobble together some bits and pieces. It never really amounted to much as I just don't have the green-stuff skills needed to make it work.


Eventually Games Workshop, Forge World and Black Library began to make official Heresy products including a range of novels, resin and plastic minis and some proper rules. I snapped up multiple copies of the Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero boxed sets and then... proceeded to completely fall out of love with GW and 40K, largely due to GW's constant attempts to screw their fanbase over (blocking online stores from trading internationally really hit hard in Japan, where the exchange rate GW charged was ludicrously unrealistic) and the almost weekly new editions of the core rules. It has only been recently that I have made an effort to get back into the GW hobby, mainly with the aim of playing using modified 5th Ed. rules, not caring too much about army lists, and generally focusing on narrative based gaming with friends.


Which is what led to what you see here. 15 Assault Marines from the World Eaters Legion in their old colour scheme of white and blue. Sadly the transfers I had for the shoulder pads are from their 40K incarnation, but I have a pile of transfer sheets and I am NOT paying the 20 GBP price tag that Forge World wants for the 'official' transfers. Likewise, there are a few 3rd party bits (notably the jump packs) mixed in to give the unit a more varied appearance as the figures are all built from the same kit. I can't remember where the parts came from as I ordered bits and pieces from half a dozen different makers and didn't make any effort to keep them separated. I still despise resin, but sadly it's almost impossible to do an all plastic 30K army.

As the World Eaters are known to be a bunch of psychotic berzerkers, I have applied quite a lot of battle damage to their armour as well as a lot of blood stains. After spending hours getting the white to look nice and crisp, it seemed almost heretical to do it, but these are the baddies after all. No clean white armour for them.

So, 15x 28mm minis adds 75 points to my challenge total, as well as to my GW minis side duel. There are 19 skullz on the minis, which is quite low for GW. The 30K aesthetic is rather less morbid than the later 40K one. Just to bump the numbers up a bit, I added a couple of skullz to a base or two. Having seen Barks' Skull Bomb earlier, I feel that I should have added a LOT more. Oh well. This is also my first post containing minis for the 30K setting, so that should also be a Squirrel. A hat trick it seems, Woo.

My running Duels totals:
GW Points - 666 (fitting for a post about heretics, no?)
Skullz - 371
Squirrels - 11

Eat a whole world? Clearly you've never been on rations at sea man! You cant just scoff down other men's food you know - it makes them quite cranky you know! That said, I do like me some psychotic axe wielding space baddies and may even have some of my own...

Cap'n Wednesday

20 comments:

  1. Nice work Stuart - as a 30k addict myself, I sympathize with everything you say here! Your current approach of not caring too much about official rules and having fun with friends - it works!

    Always nice to see some of these whackos. I think Angron is one of the biggest losers in the story, but I do love the white and blue colours of this Legion - I hope you are able to continue to enjoy 30k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always saw Angron as being kind of tragic, but he had a point. He thought that the Imperium was/would become a tyrannical dictatorship that would take away everyone's freedom and use lives as if they had no value. His solution of mass, indiscriminate killing could have used a bit more thought though.

      Delete
  2. The “Space Marine” epic scale box and the Bell of Lost Souls 30k codexes? I remember both very fondly indeed! They were ace and I also agree on your other points about what GW/FW have done since to mess it up again..... these are great figures, particularly liking the battle damage and blood stains, excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. GW's continued support of 30K is a bit hit and miss, but I think it has a devoted fanbase that would take over even if GW give up on it.

      Delete
  3. Great work Stuart, I like what you did with the gore splattered armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Given how many battles our armies fight, it's always strange how many minis are painted as parade-ground ready.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work Stuart! It's interesting to read of another who has been bitten by the 30K bug. Greg and I are HUGE fans of the setting and love to discuss our beefs and bouquets of the models, rules, stories, etc. I hope to get in a 30K entry before the final whistle is blown - wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nifty, great job on the white

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, getting it ready was a bit of an effort, especially as I knew it would then get dirtied up.

      Delete
  6. Skullz noted! I managed to avoid the 30K bug, but I do see the attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novels can be hit and miss, but I find the background from the Forge World books to be well worth reading.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking world eaters! It's a tempting period (?) but for all the above GW reasons I have managed to avoid it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GW make some top class models and the occasional awesome game, but they can be their own worst enemy at times.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Those jump packs are great. Better proportional size than the larger GW ones. Great colours and the blood looks awesome...not overdone and just enough.
    I have been building/painting a lot of 40k lately...inspired by the Free Grim Dark Future rules. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going "off piste" with 40k is definitely the way to go. Great work on these, if you're having fun go for it 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete