Sunday 31 January 2021

From MartinN: Wrapping up the Airborne project [73 points]

I'm sure many of you know the feeling. In the one moment you're happily beavering away on a project when all of a sudden you feel it has run its course. For the moment at least. Now that's exactly what happened here. I got a few more British Airborne for Operation Market Garden done and that'll be it for now. I might get my acts together and add a few things to round out the opposing SS force... or I might not. We'll see.


First off a 6pdr AT-gun with separate Junior Leader. It's really a shame most manufacturers don't give you the full complement for each gun, or at least offer generic figures lugging crates and stuff about to round out the numbers. The 6 Pounder usually had a crew of 6 and thus I added a little dice well to the base to keep track in games of Chain of Command. I might still do a little removable filler to make it less obvious when sat in the cabinet



Next are the Jump Off Points to go with the force. I like doing specific JOP's for each of my Chain of Command forces and try to make them fit in with the theme of the force. 



These are followed by a second PIAT team to add yet a little more AT capability.



I was right in the middle of painting another support squad when I decided I was done with that project. So these six fellas are on their own for the moment. Maybe acting as additional crew for guns.




Points wise I'll claim 8 points for the Jump Off Points reasoning them not really being terrain but more akin to a (large) 6mm vehicle. Added to that a gun at 10 points, 2 prone figures at 5 points and 10 more or less upright figures at 50 points. 
Making for a grand total of 73 points.

18 comments:

  1. Just wow Nick...your stuff is amazing, what a treat to see it.

    “Finished” a project? We’ll see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may notice I haven’t said ‚finished‘. Even I am not that foolish 😉

      Delete
  2. Beautiful project! I love your painting style

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Greg is all respects on this, both 'Just Wow!' and 'You're finished'. Riiight. Nonetheless, it nice to take a chapter break with a project, especially when the work is as gorgeous as this. Brilliant stuff Nick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not finished really. I merely ran out of motivation.

      Delete
  4. Really exceptional work. I love the basing, especially the large base with the gun and crew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing stuff Nick, your work on the camo is spot on and I love the canisters as jump off points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work yet again Nick, awesome smooth and accurate brush work as always. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look absolutely fantastic. The camo is marvellous, the equipment splendid and I love the basing too. Little gems each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous painting, lovely camo and splendid basing! Now as far as finished is concerned, certainly, for the moment...!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are just ace Nick! I really enjoy the extra touch with themed Jump off points things like that just really add that extra flavor.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic project .... brilliant final figures. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful work, I’m sure you’ll finish at squad off one day..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glorious- love the mug on the PIAT! I always think you should have a canister full of berets...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work on all of these. I find the challenge is great motivation for getting projects to the point where I feel I'm done with them. The next challenge is usually when I feel I'm ready to add some more minis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. More lovely pieces for you British Airborne force, always a joy to see 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete