Sunday 31 January 2021

From Mike W - Warhammer Beastmen Herd (100 Points)

So after completing work on the Lizardmen and Skeletons in my last posts, I fully intended to return to something more historical. How wrong I was!

Figures waiting to be painted, can you see the red one?


Work turned out to be much busier than expected and so I reached out for a bunch of pre-primed Beastmen figures that were lurking in the same box and the Lizardmen I'd just completed.

Finished figures 

I'd put these to one side as they were primed in black with an over spray of grey, not my current preference but when I finally had time to devote to some painting the chore of cleaning up flash and priming 20-30 figures wasn't very appealing...

Unit from their Right Flank

Thus, I decided to work with the Beastmen, despite the fact that, many years ago,  I'd for some reason painted one of them red, my guess is that they were going to be some sort of Chaos Beastmen horde but this time round I decided to go for some more 'natural' colours.

And the same unit form the Left Flank

Not knowing what the natural colour of a Beastman was, I opted for the obvious, Army Painter Monster Brown!

Monster Brown is a fairly light coloured brown so I also used a bark brown to do all the Beastman fur  and hair. I drybrushed the monster brown with bronzed flesh to give the creatures a kind of semi-human effect,

The eight smaller, thrusting spear armed Beastmen


I opted for a dull red colour for all weapon handles, with steel blades and a brighter red loincloth on each figure.

Some of the larger 'Front Rank' Beastmen

Other details were added as required before using a flesh was on body parts, strong wash on fur and wood etc and dark wash on the weapons.

Close-up of Musician and a couple of the larger Beastmen

The banner was done to represent a Beastman hide with a red logo added. Shields were painted on the sprue and then superglued into place before matt varnishing all.

Command Figures (L to R), Standard Bearer and Champion, plus one other

By wat of change I pre-mixed some fine sand, electrostatic grass, died sawdust ad sponge fragments to apply to the figure bases.

Oddly the set seems to have been marketed as a Beastmen Horde / Herd, this seems t explain why 8 of the 20 figures are significantly smaller than the others. I took this to imply they were 'youths' and I have placed them in the back ranks of the unit armed with small shields and long thrusting spears, so they can join in the fighting from a distance whilst the big guys get in close with two hand weapons each.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it...

POINTS

20 x 28mm Figures @5Pts ea.   =  100 Points


8 comments:

  1. Well, for a unit you were not expecting to work on you did a terrific job on this herd Mike. That 'Monster Brown' gives a really nice effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking herd! Love the brown, it came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work on these Mike. They look suitably bestial and seeing yours makes me regret getting rid of mine years ago.

    As for your smaller beastmen, they are actually two kinds, Gors (the large ones) and Ungors (the small ones), if I remember correctly (I could have them backwards). Not sure about AOS rules for them, but they could be fielded in mixed units or separate units back when they came out, so you are good for fantasy battle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent - allow me to welcome a fellow Beastman player to the herd! The colours look great and the splashes of red work well.

    The smaller models are Ungors, which are a more nimble type of warrior - the bigger ones are Gors. Your box is from 6th edition when the two types could be mixed in units: the Ungors at the back with spears could support the bigger warriors at the front, adding extra attacks.

    Beastmen are a slippery slope - you'll have dozens in the cupboard before too long I predict! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking beastmen! I'm with you on picking out the already primed figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work! I'm hazarding a guess at 20 skullz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking herd of beastmen. Having a stash of assembled and primed minis to draw from is a good idea when work/life is busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bunch of beasties 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete