Tuesday 5 January 2021

From StuartL - Defenders (and Offenders) of the Faith - 45 Points

As you may gather from the title of the post, this entry is focused on some religious types. As I pass to the Shrine in the Chambers of Challenge, I went looking for some clerics in my stash. In amongst the minis, I found some Japanese warrior monks and a few other minis and decided to paint them up for my entry.

The central figure is the head priest of the local temple, the figures flanking him are his Sohei acolytes. All of the minis are from Zenit Miniatures' Kensei Range. The robes were painted in GW Contrast paints and the rest of the figures done with regular paints.

And here we have a Ronin figure and a Ninja. As with the monks they are from Zenit. The Ninja was largely painted with GW Black Contrast, with some glossy black for the armour and red for the Oni-mask.


 And finally a group shot. I always find Samurai era minis challenging to paint due to the fiddly lace on their armour and these were no exception. That said, I think they do look cool when they are finished.

So, 5x 28mm minis adds 25 points to my score, along with an extra 20 for the Shrine chamber. These fellows should also net me 1 Squirrel for my side duel too.

My running Duels totals:
GW Points - 287
Skullz - 100
Squirrels - 6
-----

I do like me some Samurai and have been revisiting Osprey's Ronin rules again of late, so these quite tickle my fancy.

The Ninja with the Oni mask is particularly good, but you nailed it with the Ronin and his patterned robes. Plus nobody ever makes fun of a guy's flower patterned clothes when he carries a razor sharp blade, or two.

Cap'n Wednesday

15 comments:

  1. Your a better man than I am to paint samurai! They look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but replace 'better' with 'more foolish.' :)

      Delete
  2. One of the great things about Samurai is the opportunity for variety, which you've really shown here. I like the guy in patterned blue best, though that big guy is pretty dominating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The choices available for the Sengoku period are one of the draws for the period. They put the pain in paint though.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on these. I don’t have the temperament or skill for Samurai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Painting Samurai can be done in three easy steps.
      1. Apply a base colour.
      2. Spend 10+ hours per model regretting your poor decision making skills.
      3. Apply static grass.
      Easy!

      Delete
  4. Love the ronin in the blue kimono! Great work Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. As the guy in the kimono has no armour, and therefore no lace, he was my favourite to paint.

      Delete
  5. That oni mask is a little treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Samurai character figures 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete