Tuesday 5 January 2021

From TomG - An Epic Climax and Something's Hatching!!! — (145 points)

All good things must come to an end, and for me that is completing my first set of Warlord Games scale ACW Confederates. 

They've been a joy to paint, and I am looking forward to when the product is fully released. Although I appreciate the controversy they have caused, I fortunately had nothing between 28mm and 6mm for ACW, and so was able to go all in and preorder a fair amount.

Each stand is 20 figures produced in rows of 10 figures sculpted together, I presume, to offer a closed ranks feel. By the end of painting them I had really sped up the process without sacrificing much in the way of detail.

And with that, the family photo is complete. 100 men all ranked up ready to defend the South, or at least the South end of the gaming table.

Next up I continue my adventures in to the Chambers of Challenge, this time delving down to level 2, starting with the Hatchery.

This little number is from Mantic Games as part of their Vanguard game, namely a scenario objective called, The Dragons Egg. It's a fun scenario where, once you have captured the egg you have to contend with, not only your opponent, but also an angry mummy dragon trying to burn you to death!

I added a 28mm model to show the size of the egg, which was a nice little painting project, that neatly fitted between finishing the ACW guys and moving on to my next planned project for AHPC-XI. 

Points were scored as follows - 

60 x "15mm" infantry = 120pts
1 x 28mm infantry sized challenge entry = 25pts

Total = 145pts

My, my, my! My first victim of AHPC XI...*evil grin*

You've done a great job on those 13.5mm strips. I must confess to being a little bit confused by Warlord's thinking behind the 100-figure regiments given that their stated intention is to allow people to play out epic ACW battles - it seems to me that you could barely get a division a side on a standard 6x4 table, although the long, thin lines of infantry does look better than 24 x28mm figures.

I do like that "egg" as well. Cracking stuff and 145 points it is.

Tamsin


14 comments:

  1. Those ACW figures look really good. I am intrigued about this. new warlord marketing concept. I wonder if they will do it for Naps, given their rather large 28mm line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an interview or Q&A they said they will see how popular this is first, then look to other conflicts, but they may look at doing a non-black powder setting next. I think they'd be daft not to, but it's Warlord Games so who knows haha!

      Delete
  2. I think the ranked up figures are a good way to get the feel of ranks, very nice paint job too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie! It does give that feel nicely.

      Delete
  3. Great work on those ACW units. Never gonna be my preferred brand of soap, but I will always appreciate the work of others. Love the egg too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking figures Tom. Reminds me very much of a 6mm look, and not in a bad way. I have for years thought of doing something for ACW, this might just be my jumping in point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on the ACW figures Tom! As for the egg, Fried or poached?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a fair few locally that want to be picking this up, or have and now need to apply a lick of paint to them.. will have to send them your way for inspiration then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking mass of infantry and nice egg!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Warlord figures really do look nice en masse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great painting on the Warlord figures, and nice groundwork. I’m starting to get tempted by them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work on the ACW and the egg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see some Warlord ACW finished, they paint up great 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete