Friday 28 January 2022

From MartijnN: Doctors on Skaro and Württemberg Napoleonics (90 points)

 After a smooth cruise aboard Lady Sarah's Star Yacht we set foot on Skaro. The name seems quite fitting, as we encounter two very strange doctors carrying somewhat oversize "medical" implements of probably questionable design but definitely scary application. 




These are again 3d printed. I think one of them is by Iain Lovecraft, and I think the other is from the Kingdom of Tiradom series. They are both definitely a  bit over the top but that seems quite okay for this kind of fantasy figures.

One of the things I love about the Challenge is that on the one hand it takes me back to my early wargaming days, and on the other hand prompts me to try new things. A mix of both is in this photograph:



These are 28mm miniatures by Piano Wargames. They are Württemberg Napoleonic line infantry. I backed two Kickstarters by Piano Miniatures and opted for the STL-files, so these were printed on my Anycubic Photon Mono. However, you heavy metal aficionados can also get them in white metal.



Now I started my "serious" wargaming career (after the usual dabbling in Airfix HO/OO plastics) with Hinchliffe and Minifigs 25mm Napoleonics. However, I got rid of my modest collection decades ago and since the late eighties I never painted a 25mm or larger Napoleonic figure again (as a matter of fact, I think the last unit I painted may have been a battalion of 16 Minifigs Württemberg Light infantry). I say nothing particularly profound when I say that time has not stood still, and the 28mm figures available today are lightyears ahead of those early figures. These miniatures are prime examples and tempted me back into Napoleonics (I am looking to try my hand at Sharp Practice). Detail, variety and quality of these miniatures are simply amazing, and I still find it totally mindboggling that these can be conjured up through the magic of a simple machine in my hobby room and a bottle of liquid. They printed beautifully, although some layer lines are visible and I really must be more careful and observant when removing supports.

So, the command figures:


The flag is also by Piano Miniatures.

 The NCO's:


And the six different privates.


I used mostly contrast paints and a wash of Agrax Earthshade. It s not to everybody's taste, but I like its effect. Next time I will probably not use Apothecary White; it's ok, but for these models the effect is perhaps a little too grey. If my confidence grows enough I might try a little highlighting. The basing was done using Geek Gaming's Base Ready.

Onwards to the second ring!

Points:

14x 28mm foot @ 5 = 70

Skaro bonus points = 20

For a total of 90 points and a squirrel! 


From DaveD

EEEK - can I have the oversize syringe to administer Millsy's meds this morning please ! Certainly over the top but in a fun way. Nice to see some Naps  make there entry here to - 90 points it is!

15 comments:

  1. Nice "doctors" and Wurttembergers, Martijn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plague doctors are so good! Great work Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely to meet you tonight. Love the Drs, nervous about that syringe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really loved meeting you all too! I am sure the Doctor knows what to do with that syringe…

      Delete
  4. That syringe is very unnerving! Great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes that’s a serious needle. Great work and excellent napoleonic troops. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary looking doctors and excellent Wurttembergers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking doctors, really fit the theme. And very nice Nappies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that siringe...brrrrr well great figures allround Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I really like the plague doctors, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Martijn:
    Terrifying doctors, definitely proof that the course can be worse than the disease!
    I’ve had my eye on these Wurttemburgers for some time, you are pushing me towards ordering those STL files, you’ve printed and painted them so well.
    Chet’s, MikeP

    ReplyDelete