Tuesday 13 February 2024

From MilesR: More 10mm Russo Japanese War Madness (828 Points)

 I've been quiet for a few weeks due to work obligations - I know, I know, my priorities are out of whack.


I have been steadily working away at my 10mm RJW project.  All of my figures are from Pendraken.  The left and center columns are mostly Russians and the right one is Japanese.  The artillery in the back is Japanese too.


Column 1 has 5 bases of Naval Infantry, 1 Siberian and 2 European Infantry divisions of 12 bases each and a 12 base Cossack division in the back.  There is also a lone base because I can't count.

Alongside them are 13 Maxim MG bases


In the center are 4 12 base European Russian Infantry divisions.


On the Japanese side there are 2 regular Infantry divisions followed by the Japanese Guard in their distinctive blue uniforms.  There are 9 bases of misc infantry which will start to form out the Japanese reserve Kobe brigades.


9 Hotchkiss Machine gun bases and 9 Japanese cavalry


Lastly 5 Japanese artillery batteries made up of captured Russian 77mm guns



Here are the minis that have been painted earlier in the challenge still boxed up from there return from the club and their first playtest.


First test game of my RJW rules


There are WAY too many markers as we were testing different rule concepts.  I have learned the bitter lesson that just because one can make lots of different markers with a laser cutter doesn't mean one SHOULD make lots of different markers....

With this submission, I'm closing in on "done" with the miniatures for the RJW project - I still have some Russian artillery to finish up and maybe another division of two for each side.  It is good to be over the hump!


The tally for today is:
Infantry 136 4 man bases =                            544 points
Cavalry 21 2 figure bases @3pts/figure =     126 points
MG teams 22 @ 4pts each =                          88 points 110 points
(1 figure +1 gun and crew) = 4 5pts each
Artillery 5 2 gun batters 11pts each =             55 points
(2 guns plus 5 crew)
Total                                                                 813 points

No wait - I just realized that some of my infantry bases only have 3 figures not 4 and I have no idea why!

Adjustment  for 7, 3 figure bases = -7 points

Total Points 806 Points


Well, you may have been quiet but you are back with a vengeance, Miles! What a bomb. Another impressive amount of RLG's, very nice indeed.  I love the photos of the game in progress, they really show the mass effect of these  small scale figures. Fabulous! And you are giving me a run for my money too, having me extract all the precise amounts of  single figures, cavalry and  equipment from your rather inimitable calculations. Not to speak of your inimitable formatting... However, I think your MG's with 2 crew are actually worth 5 points each, so after much triangulation, adding, subtracting and dividing that's 22 points extra for a total of  828. Congratulations, now get your priorities back in order and another such submission will see you shooting past your target soon!

Martijn

15 comments:

  1. Holy crapola! Looks like you've been a very busy boy Miles. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite mad. You did say madness and I agree. Splendid effort and great battle photo. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fabulous bit on industry here. They look great all amassed for deployment. Good luck with the playtesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant submission Miles, the figures all massed up look really good, I think before you know it you'll be the top contender, keep them coming my friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, you are going to need all those figures to account for the high casualty rate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive, but still only a 7 on the Reidy Scale. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one day, if I try really hard, I might be awarded the GIMP award. One day......

      Delete
  7. Excellent vast numbers on an undercovered period!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Madness and Miles go together so well. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy! Very impressive looking forces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a one man painting machine - nicely done that's painting on an industrial scale

    ReplyDelete
  11. madness indeed Miles, but what EPIC madness! I love that you shared those game-in- progress shots with us, the table looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete