Saturday 2 March 2024

From ChrisW: Fantasy Ent from LoTR/spirit and Chinese animated statues (Fantasy) (177 points)

 


So I have had a bit of a week this week, in a good way. A few items wound up being finished off at roughly the same time, as a result this week may become something of a points bomb...

First up an out and out fantasy entry. As seems to be the case with me, all to often, I have no idea why I bought this figure, nor do I even know what it is. To my mind it is some sort of LoTR Ent or possibly even a woodland spirit. It is another Bones figure. It was a fun item to paint. After priming it I used some contrast paints to lay down some base colours then went at it with some conventional paints.



I do not remember if size matters for points, but here is a comparison shot

Another fantasy/pulp entry are these animated Terracotta warriors and some spawning points.

  • 6x 28mm dogs
  • 24x animated terracotta warriors

The soldiers are from Eureka but I fear that I cannot remember were the Foo Dogs came from. The soldiers are just normal figures with a clay coloured paint job. I did make a few cuts into the miniatures with a hobby knife to try and represent cracking clay, with mixed results. They were primed with rattle can khaki then dry brushed with some tan craft paints. Then I opened up some pots of Agrax, Nuln, Carroburg crimson and Contrast Garaghax sewer and liberally spread and mixed them over the figures, daubing up any excess when required. I final dry brush of Craft gray paint and they were essentially done. I might go back and do some red eyes, at least on the leader type figures, but I have not yet decided.


I plan use these figures in a Pulp Alley scenario and spawning points were going to be required. Thankfully I had 6 statues lying around that would fit the bill.


Like the warriors I wanted to keep the idea that these are just statues (albeit oddly coloured statues) so I kept the colours simple. However I did add red eyes to the miniatures and a glowing blue ball of magic energy.

So the totals

  • 120 points for 24x 28mm warriors (5 points each)
  •   30 points for   6x 28mm statues
  •   7 points for large 28mm Ent/woodland spirit
  •   20 points for the Fantasy section bonus

Total of 177 points

Squirrels this post +2

Squirrels to date [10]

  • Hammers Slammers
  • Ikwen alien infantry
  • Hanuman (Alien) vehicles 
  • New Swabian league armoured vehicles 
  • Rats
  • Scarabs 
  • Mercenary Sci-fi vehicle
  • NAC Sci-fi vehicles 
  • Foo dog statues
  • Terracotta warriors 
Some interesting variety here Chris, great stuff. I like the Big Ent in particular, it has a real LotR feel as you note. I've awarded 40mm points for him (it?). The terracotta dudes are also very cool, I like the clay effect you've achieved on them - and the fact that the weapons are painted in a lifelike fashion adds some interest and verisimilitude too.

177 points for your tally!

Dallas

8 comments: