Monday 6 January 2020

From EricM: 28mm Late Romans and Dungeons and Dragons Party (170 points)

After falling short of my goal last year, I promised myself this year I would start strong and hit my goal early.   That plan has already fallen apart. a combination of the holidays and my own lack of discipline conspired to delay by beginning. But here goes with my first entry in AHPC X.

My original plan was to paint small portions of a Late Roman army and their opponent Sassanid Persians.  I started off with a unit of Foundry 28mm Late Romans.   These have been gathering dust for some time

The first unit completed is representative of and eastern limitanei unit with supporting light bowmen.  The Foundry Late Roman range is very good and a breeze to paint. 


There are a total of 24 28mm figures.

Here are close ups of of the front rank and supporting bowmen:




Once I finished my first unit of Romans my grand plan went off the rails   This summer a group of friends and I had planned to play a quick old school Dungeons and Dragons game on a camping trip we had planed.  Unfortunately the mastermind behind this was not able to make the trip at the last minute.  I was really surprised how much the other guys were disappointed the game didn't happen.  Once we returned to civilization we decided to give it a try on Roll 20.   What started as a one-time, one-game lark has turned into a regular Sunday night nerdfest for us.   We are ending this campaign arch with a day long in-person game.  So I decided to paint figures for all the players.  Since this was last minute and there are 8 players I went with the Dungeons and Dragons Nolzur's line of plastic miniatures.  While the quality of the sculpts and casting are really not great they did paint up ok and the price and availability were right.

 Half Orc Paladin:


The dwarf Barbarian:


The human Cleric:
The human Rogue:
The elf Ranger:

The human Monk:
Finally the human Mage:

Total so far the total is 31 28mm figures.

***
Hello Eric, and welcome to the latest edition of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge! As the Monday Minion, I should take the opportunity to calmly reflect and comment on your thoughtful submissions and OMG LATE ROMANS LATE ROMANS LATE ROMANS! So cool, a project that is totally on my wish list to do, and I get very distracted when I see others doing it! 

And did you hand-paint those bloody shields? Madness! And fantastic results! Well done. 

It is also very nice to see another D&D party mustering for action.  I am not familiar with those specific figures, but you mention they are plastic so I just assume up front they are disappointing...nonetheless, your brushwork brings out the detail very well.  I assume the party will work very hard to compensate for the presence of the useless Dwarf Barbarian...

These figures will give you a base of 155 points, but I'm bumping that up to 170 to account for the bonkers shield painting. Well done!

GregB

11 comments:

  1. Nice Romans and adventurers, Eric :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Roman's are great! love those hand painted shields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice indeed! bonus points for the paladin in my eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking Late Romans, love the shields. Your D&D party painted up well too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading about your impromptu D&D campaign. We've used Roll20 as well for long distance playing. It does the trick but nothing beats getting together in person, junk food in tow, to geek our together.

    I also, really liked your Late Romans. I have a load of these primed and ready to go. This may help me along with some inspiration. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Romans and those shields are great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking late Romans (super shields) and really nice D&D figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine work on those Foundry Romans! Just the right guys to take on some Huns in the name of Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic looking Romans, they look splendid all massed up and ready for battle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those romans are great and is there such a thing as a half orc paladin, bet he gets picked on

    ReplyDelete