Thursday 17 March 2022

From ChrisW: We visit Lune! Werewolf, Gypsies, peasants, adventurers & Zenda (245 points)

 

I just could not, not post on Tuesday, so I submit these Chaos in Carpathia themed figures. I am still working on the mountain and it will get posted up before the end of the challenge, but I had planned to work on these and the mountains almost derailed that plan.

So from Mars on Lady Sarah's yacht courtesy of mysterious lady...

...we arrive at the last planet that I planned to visit, Lune, planet of witchcraft & sorcery. 

Seventeen planets in total.


What better example of Lunar power than ... a werewolf! [1]


I was in a predicament with this post as I figured I needed a werewolf to tie in with Lune, but I had already painted all of my werewolves, or so I thought. Instead of substituting a rather aggressive looking wolf hybrid I fortuitously stumbled on this figure from Uncle Mike of Strange Aeons. I was never able to see much detail on the figure in its natural white resin state and constantly shuffled the miniature over to the miniatures to get done, maybe, eventually if there was nothing else to paint. But thanks to this challenge and my need for a werewolf this figure suddenly made it to the top of the list.

I really should have primed this figure years ago as it really is not that bad a figure. I readily admit my eyes cannot perceive details on unprimed figures, hell I sometimes have challenges with primed and/or painted figures too! I also have a challenge trying to figure out what some of the details are on figures. Sometimes cloaks, belts and other accouterments confuse me. Rifles, don't get me started on rifles are the barrels exposed or not, what make/model are they what colour wood it just never ends. I do not do enough (any) research on weapons so I only have myself to blame, but then again some sculptures do not seem to always accurately model rifles...

Anyways, where was I, oh yeah, the werewolf.  I do kind of like him. He is the only one I have that still has clothing on him, as if he just recently transformed, nice. He was primed black, then painted with craft charcoal brown (a nice black/brown colour) then multiple layers of different shades of brown were dry brushed over it. P3 Graveyard blue for pants with a reaper wasted jean blue as highlight did the job. The shirt was painted with a light grey then high lighted with GW graveyard white. Hands and face were whichever flesh paint came to hand. A brown wash was applied over the model.


Gypsies [11]

A mix of Old Glory/West wind and Pulp Figures gypsies to go with the werewolf. Most had contrast paints applied to them but were then highlighted with conventional paints. I find contrast is good to get colour onto figures very quickly, but I always follow up with other colours to clean up the models. I basically tried to paint them up as brightly as possible with a more or less similar palette. 


Esmeralda dances a counter curse to keep the Werewolf at bay!



Hunters and villagers[5]

All Blue moon figures, which I really like, very characterful. 



Revolting peasants [8]

Blue moon and Westwind revolting peasants done in dull colours to represent the down trodden nature of their existence...They are ready to confront mad barons and other evil or misguided creatures.



Zendarians and local police [16]

Again more Old Glory/West Wind figures they too started with a contrast paint base coat. A couple of shades of light blue brought out the coats, The dark pants are a P3 paint Ash Grey. The helmet are P3 Boiler Black   

 




Action shots




The points

  • 20 points for Sarah's yacht
  • 20 points for Lune
  • 205 points for 41 x 28mm figures 

Total    245 points

Sarah's choice submission 

This weeks grouping, seven ladies.
 

So, at least one female character in every post, so far 12 posts, for a total of 107 female figures,
This is a collage of past weeks.




Squirrel points [12]

  Previous weeks

  1. Super heroes
  2. Epic 40K
  3. Sci-Fi Robots 28mm
  4. Dystopian wars
  5. Dr Who                                                                                                                                            
  6. Pulp
  7. All Quiet on the Martian Front  
  8. Back of Beyond   
  9. VSF
  10. Post apocalypse                                                                                                                            New this week
  11. Victorian Horror/Chaos in Carpathia 
  12. Prisoner of Zenda

This is a great collection of gothic horror figures. I like the Zendarians and police, but the gypsy musicians are my favourite.

Barks

15 comments:

  1. What wonderfully characterful miniatures! Love the gypsies. Well done Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they really came out bright, maybe too bright, but a lot of my stuff seems kind of dark so I figured a change was in order.

      Delete
  2. Well done Chris!
    There is so much I like about this post :)
    The Mysterious Lady wears a lovely and chic shade of blue, Gypsies AND werewolves together!
    But Wow!
    You’ve painted 107 female figures this challenge …you rock❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      I still have many more female figures waiting to be painted but sadly they will not all get done for this challenge...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, BTW the mountain is progressing, slowly, but it is moving along.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful figures all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice collection! I like how you have managed to paint some of them with bright colours and some in toned down colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I really have no painting style just happy when things turn out! :)

      Delete
  6. Great work, a full project in one post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup a few factions for any Chaos in Carpathia games thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking mix of figures, great fun with the prisoner of Zenda milieu!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I had the 1952 movie playing in the background while painting.(it was in colour for the uniforms)

      Delete
  9. Nice work Chris, they're certainly a colourful bunch!

    ReplyDelete