Tuesday 3 January 2023

From MartinC: Some Wee Scotsmen and a Town (100 points)

 So I am taking advantage of still being on holiday to crack on with some painting. I was planning to do loads of 10mm 7YW ImagiNation Scots but I've managed to organise games every weekend so needed to paint some other stuff as well.

1st up the Scots, my assumption was that Scotland never undertook the Darien adventure and so never went bankrupt and the Act of Union was never signed. Also William of Orange was not accepted as King by the Scots and the House of Stuart still hold sway. I've based most of the army on units and tartans that fought at Culloden. Most of the highlanders are done but I still have the lowlanders to do.

These are Lady MacKintosh's Regiment and the Kilmarnock Foot Guards. They will fight as superior troops in the army

The colours are correct for clans, but he regiments are somewhat made up. Like the rest of the army the figures are Pendraken.

Next up a problem for Tamsin. I have painted 14 Spanish style 10mm buildings, for use in Spanish Civil War and other mediterranean locations. These are brillian resin castings from Pendraken and a joy to paint

Church and house with balcony

side views

Couple of posh villas

I do like the climbing roses I painted on them

another church

same church

Couple of houses

Handful of small houses

and some more

So here is the quandry. As a terrain cube I would get 10 points for all of these buildings, which is mean for a day's painting. They are about the size and complexity of a 28mm infantryman so I think they are worth 5pts each. I call on the wisdom of Tamsin to decide. 

Finally some Vietnam terrain pieces, can't remember the manufacturer and will dig around for the order details

6 sets of oil drums - these were a doddle - paint green, give ochre wash and add some oil drips. I think these should be about a point each
Finally a field kitchen, same manufacturer. Will need a canopy. These are about the same size and complexity as the 10mm buildings so potentially 5pts each

Potential scores on the doors

30x10mm Scotsmen = 30
14 10mm houses = 70 perhaps
6 stacks of oil drums = 6 perhaps
3  field kitchen pieces = 15 perhaps


Thank you 

Martin


Well, your Imaginations Scots' background has enticed me to have a quick read about the Darien Scheme - well done, Professor! Those 10mm regiments look fab - I'll give you some extra points for the tartan.

Now, the quandary you have posed. I hate to say it, but the rules is the rules. I remember doing some similar scale buildings a few Challenges ago and getting naff-all points for them, so I do feel your frustration. That being said, I'm happy to score the field kitchens as 28mm foot figures and to bung a few extra points for the oil drums.

Tamsin

28 comments:

  1. Great 10mm figures. Love how you were able to simplify the painting style and still keep them clear and distinct. I tend to paint 10mm like 28mm which is a right pita! And definitely not worth it for challenge points. Great buildings too especially the 🌺!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Simon, 10mm is al about simplifying and amplifying the colours - use brighter tones. I do like the buildings and they will get a use in a couple of weekends. Not painting anymore terrain, although I have a couple of massive valleys to make that could be 100s of points

      Delete
  2. Thanks Tamsin, you judgement has been noted. Next time can I have half the baby instead.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Martin. I really enjoyed your basis for your Scots force. Nice bit of historical basis, that. Sorry about the terrain, but we have to keep it basic or else it will be abused. That being said, we do allow the minion-in-charge to adjudicate final points, so you could ask Tamsin for an upgrade. Frankly, there are times when I just want to scrap it altogether and stick to figures/vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already upgraded it from standard by various, tortuous means - Martin's score would be about 65 points without my interventions.
      I think the terrain cube scoring works well for some things, but not so well for others. I'd be happy to see terrain dropped for future Challenges.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Curt, love ImagiNation stuff. They will fight in a planned 7YW style campaign but will take the place of the Brunswickers. Terrrain is a nightmare and just because I'm grumpy doesn't make it wrong, and Tamsin has been generous

      Delete
  4. Those Scots are quite fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, wait until you see the highland rabble

      Delete
  5. Great work here Martin. Love the Scots, and the colors you put into them. And again I can see why banners are so good for historicals.. gotta fix that on mine..

    As for the terrain, I feel you on the points bits, but I have had to just change my mentality on it as I need terrain painted up, and this challenge encourages me to paint.. even if it is terrain! So although less points for the effort, the outcome of having terrain to play with that is painted is the trade off. That said, your buildings look great, and will look amazing on the table to fight amongst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I'm just being pushy and am actually happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Martin - imaginations Scots is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Scots are very nice, as are the buildings. Yeah, trying to score points with small-scale terrain is hardly worth the effort. I try to think of it as just painting the stuff I have/ need, and any points you get into the bargain are a bonus. Nevertheless, fine stuff these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, I agree about the terrain, was just trying it on

      Delete
  9. Imaginative backstory and nice minis and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff Martin. Love the wee Scots lads, and buildings are aces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good stuff, I really like your terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another vote for the roses!

    ReplyDelete