Wednesday 9 March 2022

From PaulSS - Ork Deffkopters (45 points)


 The Orks get some light air support from a trio of rusty death-trap Deffkopters. 

Like the earlier Ork Boyz these three are from the Ork Combat Patrol set from GW. 

To keep the theme, I wanted to do a dilapidated rust look on these so from a grey primer I added a wash of black and then applied a mix of VMC Gunmetal Grey and VMC Saddle Brown, then added successive patches with more and more VMC Clear Orange.

Once the rusting was done the areas to be 'painted' were blocked in with VMC Pale Sand and the rest painted with contrast paints. Again, lesson learned since, before doing the contrast paints the areas to be painted need a wash of black or very dark grey so that the contrast paints get shaded from below.

The Ork Flesh Contrast paint is worked up with VMC Flat Green and several highlights with progressively more VMC Iraqi Sand added.

The built in flying bases have bags of detail that can be picked out.

I think that these are probably best counted as a 40mm cavalryman adding 45 points to my total.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 136 foot, 2 mounted, 4 horses (825pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)

***

The Ork horde arises! Literally, in this case, I suppose...can't say I was ever crazy about these models myself, but you point out rightly that they do have loads of unique character, fitting ever so well with the Orks of the Warhammer 40k universe. And, I mean, they are kind of hilarious. Very nice work!

GregB 


21 comments:

  1. I really like the contrast of the rather monotone vehicles with the brightness and colour of the Orks; a fantastic choice to paint them that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think the rust is a bit of a cheat as it means you don't have to worry too much about the vehicles, but it works for me.

      Delete
  2. @Greg
    Thank you.
    I was also a bit daunted by the models but once underway they seemed to come together ok.
    As to the physics of getting them off the ground.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Paul. I like your 'cheat' with the rust. Works perfectly in this application and I like how they mix with the high-contrast missiles, rockets, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice contrast between the rust and hardware, very orky!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Refreshing to see non-red Ork vehicles. :) They look good, very Orky in more grimmer way, suitable for 40k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, maybe they were red once, but lack of maintenance added the rusty patina.

      Delete
  6. This figure gives you a lot to look at without overwhelming you all at once. I really like how you approached it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever with a great result

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m really enjoying all your orks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent rust bucket copters Paul, love the rust effects and I’ve taken notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, look forwards to seeing your own rusty buckets

      Delete
  10. these choppers really do look like they come right out of the Codex, but I do think the boyz would have put a bit of Red paint in them here and there, everyone knows red uns go fasta right;-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander, they likely were red once but lack of maintaining and a damp atmosphere sent them all rusty

      Delete