Wednesday 9 March 2022

From PaulSS - Ork Boys (70 points)

Hot on the heels of the last batch of Ork Boys are another mob of green-skins painted on my Cornwall vacation.

In the previous post I mentioned that I was experimenting with Contrast Paints and the last batch had been painted over a "zenithal highlight" and had wanted to try some off of a plain light primer.

This time I used a primer of VMC Grey surface primer that is a very light coloured basecoat, I did not apply a wash at all and instead went straight for it with the Contrast Paints. I'll not be doing this method again, I was not that impressed with the previous result but think these came out much worse.

The Contrast browns especially came out much worse than over a gradient basecoat and are really patchy.






Ten more 40mm figures will add 70 points to my total.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 136 foot, 2 mounted, 4 horses (825pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)

***

Hello again Paul - very enjoyable to have this "petite deviation" through 40k amidst your historical painting projects. As to your ongoing experience with GW's "Contrast Paints", they remind me of something Homer Simpson once bragged to someone else about - "My boss always says everyone else has to work a lot harder when I'm around!". Nonetheless, I think these Boyz look more than fit for duty on the gaming table, and I've no doubt your talented brush experiments will find the highest and best use for these paints in your general overall approach!  70 points for your tally!

I also just love that you are painting Orks while on a vacation. I'll be saving this for the "Well, yes, honey, I paint a lot, but see, at least I don't..." file for use with key domestic audiences :)

GregB

20 comments:

  1. Nice Orks, Paul, despite the problems you had with the contrast paints! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I'm sure they'll catch on without me :)

      Delete
  2. @Greg
    Thank you.
    I'd not get away with it during a city break or beach holiday, but a week loafing in a cottage or converted barn should not be wasted just, well, loafing ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, patchy skin tones works perfectly for Orks and these look the business to me. Well done Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking orks I think and even more impressive that you we're able to paint on holiday!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Orks look fine, no matter if you had problems painting them, Paul! Nice additions to your army.

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't understand why you're not happy Paul I think they look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there was a lot of recovery overpainting on a few of them

      Delete
  7. Primer and contrast paints aside, those are wonderful orks Paul. Im with Curt that patchiness fits orks well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great use of those paints, the Orks look awesome maybe one day they will meet my Dark Angels or DkoK on the field!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander, that would be good, do I recall you are in that there London?

      Delete