Wednesday 23 December 2020

From Curt: Deep One Rising (Warning: Yule Be Afraid!) - Entering by the Aquifer (25 Points)


I've decided to be crafty and enter the Chambers of Challenge via the Aquifer.

I could think of no better way to infiltrate this cold, watery portal than by using a creature accustomed to its inky depths, a beast not easily unsettled by unknown horrors, in fact a creature that is probably more frightening than most things it will encounter.


Behold!! Something rises from the deep! The water breaks and we see the Herald of Father Dagon, the Protector of Mother Hydra, the Great Deep One of Y'ha-nthlei !


This is a fun resin piece from the Strange Aeons range over at Uncle Mike's Miniatures. It's the companion to the full sized model which I did a few Challenges ago. These are such great figures with loads of character.



Just for a sense of scale, here's a shot of them with their Innsmouth relations. Yeah, not really a bunch of lookers, but they are very loyal, just not fond of strangers. 


The submerged Deep One is roughly the size of a 28mm figure, so I'll go with that for scoring. With the Aquifer location bonus this should give me 25 more points to add to my modest tally.

Thanks for dropping in folks!

___________________________________


Next Stop: The Chamber of Darkness!


34 comments:

  1. Great looking frog-beasty. I like the way you've painted the water around it, it gives the piece a nice sense of motion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart! The water effect was fun to work on.

      Delete
  2. Oh I always liked this one! Come March next year you'll also be able to use him in 7TV as their mythos pack is being released at last :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, inspiring work, Curt. It does remind me of Stingray, however!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I have the lurking Deep One in my box of tricks too - it has been known to swim the rivers of my battlefields...

    I have been a big Fan of Uncle Mikes for years. And yes, I have a Cult of the Black Goat membership card and TShirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nerdtastic! Me too! I just wore my t-shirt the other day... :)

      Delete
  5. Smart looking semi submerged monster!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange Aeons indeed. The kind of thing you'd wish to STAY lurking in the deep. Excellent painting of a cool figure, Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Curt. I’ll give him a wide berth on my sea voyages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. You'll probably see him in a future adventure when we get past this silliness.

      Delete
  8. Great looking deep one Curt. I love the shading on the green and the water effect you got is very nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He or maybe she?.... looks really awesome Curt very ominous looking mini! I agree with Byron the water looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy. I think it's a she. As we know, 'she's' are waaay more scary. ;)

      Delete
  10. Very well done Curt! Just the ticket to start of the adventure in style

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice sneaky Way in to the Chamber, I missed that one ! Some great figs too 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When entering a dungeon, always recon if there is another way out. (Said my resurrected character after falling into the front door pit trap...)

      Delete
  12. Who doesn't enjoy a nice swim! Right? Living near the Great Lakes, this doesn't give me ANY pause at all...?
    Well done Curt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, a Great Deep One for the Great Lakes. I feel a Call of Cthulhu scenario coming on... :)

      Delete
  13. Fabulous monster - Y'ha-nthlei - is that Texan? Or maybe Geordie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both from the looks of the residents from both of those fine places. ;P

      Delete
  14. Lovely work Curt,

    Love the artwork too

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great companion piece to your earlier work! Suitably rugose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. (I had to look up rugose. Neat word!)

      Delete
  16. Sneaky way for this Deep One to infiltrate. Nice work on the waterline model

    ReplyDelete