Thursday 7 March 2024

From BruceR: Spies like us, the book cart from Lady Sarah, Wee troops (302 points)

Nearing the end, as I go on vacation Friday it's likely I will not be producing anything near the finish line.  No minis heading to the South with me.  Never fear, traveling to AdeptiCon soon and will be able to reload on buckets of minis.  I'm happy with the completed units I've done and the new epic project I've embarked upon with the help of the challenge.  

I want to thank Curt and Lady Sarah for their endeavors, as well as Temuu for guiding the Thorsday crew.  On to the post.

I've not done as much in the library as in the past and I blame being more focused on my projects.  

While expanding my epic ACW project this week and did take a break it did give me a recharge.  I usually paint 28mm and in small batches.  So, my break was few 28's.  

Here is a gift a friend gave me, of the Queen (RIP), while in service in WW2.  I don't even know the maker.  I will use this miniature to ride the Library Cart to the True Crime book section.  


I did her majesty with, what else, English Uniform Vallejo, wash, highlights.  


In the True Crime section, I'm offering Sinister Spies.  They all look very criminal and as you can get life for espionage I figure a good fit for True Crime.  These are super fun figures from Pulp Miniatures, Bob Murch.  I like the bulk of his figures and I have no idea why I have them, but here they are for your review.

Sinister Spies: Jasper Gutworth-international scoundrel, Count Stransky, the unpleasant Mr. M, Seigfreid Holtz, Bronstein-the 2nd man 







Next, I have continued on with my ACW epics.  I had done these first two stands prior to my break to the 28's.  After my little painting break and not so great weather I did 2 more stands, 2 artillery, 2 commanders, and a test stand of confederates.  With the 4 union stands I will need to do 2 more command stands to give me 6 regiments for a good start.  I did again experiment with the light blue pants and used a mix of contrast for the 2nd batch and you can see the difference.  Did mean only one coat so a time saver.  I'll just claim one unit has been in the field longer or the dye maker shorted the government on this batch.  Add character maybe?  I intend to shift over to the rebs, as at this point only one of our group is actively putting out the South so some reinforcements will be needed.  Will see if I can keep going as Spring will call, with my road bike and lake cottage calling.  

1st two stands.



Production from the week.



Johnny Reb test stand.



I'll keep monitoring from the South (cool one in hand) and hopefully sending the positive painting vibes and comments your way.  

Stay well and carry on.  Cheers.
Bruce

Points:

Sarah's library Cart                    20 pts

1 28mm Queen                            5 pts

True Crime shelves                    20 pts

5 28mm spies                             25 pts

100 15mm ACW                      200 pts

2 arty ACW (8 crew)                  24 pts

2 cav ACW                                    8 pts

Total                                          302 pts

TeemuL: That's a great way to end a Challenge, Bruce, and thanks for being part of the Thor's Day crew! You have smashed your original target, well done. I really like your Queen and Spies, very characterful minis and great brushwork on them, good work. It is also nice to see your ACW project going on and I think the colour variation is key to reality and shows that they are painted by hand and not by a machine, should look great on the table. Have a nice time in the South!

12 comments:

  1. Great work here Bruce, wow those Bob Murch figures are SOOOO characterful and you've done great work on them! Also love the Epic ACW stands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Challenge Bruce. Agree with Dallas, those Bob Murch figures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great ACW army this challenge. Really makes that set look enticing. Bob’s figures are a lot of fun to paint His figures make up several peaks of my lead mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful Challenge-ender, Bruce! Love all of them, but especially the spies (Pulp Figures FTW!). Have a fabulous time on your vacation and a fun time 're-loading' with minis at Adepticon. Hopefully we'll see you next time out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spies, class work. You've had a great challenge. have good holiday

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful Challenge ender for you Bruce with more wonderfully painted mini's. I was going to say just love the acw figures but really all the figures in this post are so good. take care and catch you again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the 28mm characters including Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great time at Adepticon Bruce and buy loads! As I've said before I've never seen better Epic ACW anywhere. Love the character in those pulp figures

    ReplyDelete