Friday 13 March 2020

From MartinN: Terrain bomb (240 points)

First I have to apologize for my lack of comments both on the Challenge blog but also on your individual blogs. Live has suddenly gone crazy around here and there wasn't much time for anything hobby related. That said since the start of the challenge I've been doing something rather unusual for me. I've been slowly but steadily adding to my terrain collection to a point where I feel I have enough buildings to comfortably fill a table. What I need now is some scatter terrain like fences, billboards, road signs and the like.


Most of the buildings are 3D printed using files from Najewitz Modellbau with some Sarissa PrecisionZiterdes and Warbases mixed in for good measure. I have to apologize for the abysmal photo quality but I have the sinking feeling that my camera is slowly dying on me. I can't for the live of me get any decent pictures as pictures on the camera screen look good but later on they're either too dark, too bright or the colour balance is totally off.


I was aiming for a rather generic middle European look for these buildings. In the long run I of course hope to add enough buildings and ruins to better represent specific theatres like Holland, Germany or maybe even France.

Ziterdes

Sarissa with Warbases lean to and Renedra fence

In my view both MDF and 3D printed buildings are a little too flat, or better have too straight corners to look natural. The walls of the MDF buildings were given a liberal coating of tile grout while the roofs were done using embossed plastic card.


The 3D printed buildings have more detail than the MDF ones but still the walls are too clean for my taste so I slapped some Vallejo Rough Pumice on and actually I'm pretty pleased with the look.

3D print

3D print

3D print

3D print

Sarissa


Warbases scatter, road blocks from Baueda

schratch built culverts after an idea by thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
And some scenic shots taken with my phone camera so even worse but I'm pretty pleased with the overall impression. Maybe adding a few posters and adds here and there...






All in all I'd say this is enough terrain to fill 12 terrain cubes adding a rather nice 240 points to my total. I still have a few half finished figures in the queue which I hope to finish before the challenge closes. I know this would mean cutting it fine so we'll see...



Those buildings look great Nick. Do the 3D printed ones have playable interiors? Anyway, it does look like a bout 12 cubes worth, so 240 points for you!

TamsinP

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous terrain Nick! I LOVE that garage, and you're right, the pumice really gives them a more lived-in aspect. I like the full set dressing shots with the vehicles and figures. Who does the cobblestone roads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Nick!! Your pictures came out fantastic so I don't see the camera issue! Can't wait to see these!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection of terrain, very impressive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful terrain. Like Tamsin I’d like to know/see if the prints have interiors.

    @Curt The roads look like the GF9 ones to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ all: Thanks for the kind comments
    @ Tamsin: The buildings are hollow and you can place models inside if that’s what you mean by playable interior.
    @ Curt: Roads are Early War Miniatures rubber roads. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are lovely! The added details is what sets them apart, like the gardens, fences and lean to. I have taken notes and will now be improving some of my half finished buildings with these as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous looking buildings, wonderful terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your attention to detail and the roof tiles are absolutely superb. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete