Friday 13 March 2020

From MikeW - Odds and Ends #2 (91 Points)

I can't believe its the 10th March already and if I remember correctly the challenge ends on 21st March, Yikes!

Luckily I have just met my target but I am presenting today a number of figures that I have been working on over the last couple of weeks that do not really fit into any other posting - really because they were left overs that needed re-modelling, that I found after the main post was done or simply I fancied painting a piece that I found in the bottom of my spares boxes or at the foot of the lead / plastic mountains....

28mm Medieval Foot Knight
So to start off we have a 28mm Medieval foot knight, I believe the figure was given away with entrance to the 2003 Salute event (at least that's what I says on the base), I don't ever remember being given it, so assume that was why it was in the bottom of the spares box on its wrapper still...

A view of the shield

A nice little figure, I undercoated in black and dry-brushed it with steel paint to get the chain mail effect, then added deep red robes and other details. I used an old Warhammer Bretonnian transfer on the shield and based the figure in my normal manner.

4 x Stirland Militiamen

Next is a group of Warhammer Empire Stirland Militia and another mounted Knight, there are a whole bunch of these Militiamen in my plastic pile, looking at another 10 on my workbench - which may or may not get done next week.
Focus on Swordsman and Musketeer
Focus on standard bearer and crossbowman

I can't take any credit for the flag, the basic design was taken from the internet and I made it into a flag using Microsoft Paint. The knight, was a bit of a challenge and I had to change heads and find a new tail for the horse, but it has turned out good in the end.
Stirland Mounted Knight

And another view...

Sticking with Warhammer Fantasy, next I have a group of seven giant spiders, to go with the spider Riders I did in the last AHPC Challenge. These little plastic guys are really, really old - originally  believe I had 10 of them, acquired in a bring and buy sale at a Wargames Show, maybe 20 years or more ago. I've painted them green and individually based them - with a view that they would generally accompany the Spider Rider units whenever they are fielded.

Mysterious Plastic Spiders, anyone recognise where they came form?

I've always assumed that they are Games Workshop but they didn't get used as they never seemed to be part of any Army Lists - these days I don't care so much about official lists - they look good so I'll use them!

Moving on to Warhammer 40k, I found a couple of partial frames of plastic Space Marines, I fancied doing a paint job on them and here we are. Over the years I have had 2 or 3 Space marine armies, all but the first Ultramarines, each army has been spirited away via eBay - except the first which was so bad I binned them!

Three 'Blue' marines from a yet to be named Spacemarine chapter, from the front
And from the other side

What can I say, I like Space Marines and I like them in blue. this time I have left off the Ultramarine iconography, if I do more, I may create new chapter with its own background - some sort of sons of Ultramarines but different!

Senior Cadian Officer
Finally I have a metal Imperial Guard Officer to go with the Cadian unit I have been adding to during this Challenge. I really like the pose on this figure, portraying an arrogance of a senior Officer and just wanting his men to get the job done. I particularly like the riding crop behind his back!

Rear View

The Great Coat is piped and lined with Red and he wears a gold breast plate - befitting such a noble officer.

What next? I have some more Balkan 17th Century infantry nearly ready to base and complete and then the last stretch will be a new project that I'm excited about - 28mm Elizabethan Skirmishes - something that the club I belong to is dabbling in. Hopefully some of these at the end of next week!

POINTS
1 x 28mm, Imperial Guard Officer @ 5 Points = 5 Points
3 x 28mm, Space Marines @ 5 Points = 15 Points
7 x 28mm, Giant Spiders @ 5 Points = 35 Points
4 x 28mm, Empire Foot Soldiers @ 5 Points = 20 Points
1 x 28mm, Empire Mounted Knight @ 10 Points = 10 Points
1 x 28mm, Medieval Foot Knight @ 5 Points = 5 Points
TOTAL POINTS 5 + 15 + 35 + 20 + 5 = 90 Points



That's certainly a mixed bag Mike, and well worth the wait while you dealt with the effects of the pic-eating bug. 

Nice work all round. Putting the flag together yourself warrants a bonus point, so that's 91 points for you!

TamsinP

4 comments:

  1. Nice grab bag of assorts figures. Last week of the challenge is a big incentive to finish up and those bits and bobs left partly done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mix of figures, the imperial guard officer is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful variety and I particularly like the officer!

    ReplyDelete