Monday 18 January 2016

From AdamC 25mm Warriors of the White Willow (35) points

 I think this is my first true Unit of the challenge. These are some old Heritage Miniatures that I picked up $2.00 to a pack at the Huzzah yard sale last spring.  I have done them up for Dragon Rampant as the warriors of the white willow.  I hand painted the shields with what I hoped would look like a stylised white tree... you be the judge (if it looks a little like a scary face that works too)
 They are identified by Heritage as "late Byzantines" though how accurate that is I don't know  Two handed axes aren't something I associate with Rome or its successor state I do vaguely recall the Byzantine emperors hiring Norse Mercenaries so maybe that is the inspiration. My guess is the shield would be used on the defence with that short sword and the axe used on the offencive (though using it with that shield slung on my shoulder could be awkward.
Still these seven fellows (there were 8 to a box but I used one for another project) do make a formidable looking group that should serve well in fantasy or historical games. They are 25mm scale so another 35 points.


Wow Adam you have had a full weekend.  These look like very old school Varangians, I'd say mid 1970s.  The shields are typically shown as kite shaped these days, and normally they'd be strapped on the back for axe work.  Your repurposing of them for Dragon Rampant makes a lot of sense, and this will make a fine unit.  I like the unit identification, and White Willow seems a good generic fantasy association.  Good effort on the shields, I support hand painting.  And yes there is a stylized will tree visible.

12 comments:

  1. Good work on the armour and the shields - and bases. Have you looked into paint markers? I find them easier to control than brush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Adam. You are a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them, and we remain a tandem act for another week LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work repurposing those Varangians!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "warriors of the white willow" is a wonderfully evocative name. The shield designs are a great stylised interpretation of a willow tree too. Kudos Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be trying the Dragon Rampant rules this Sunday. A good find with regard to price and they have painted up well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great unit. It works as both a tree and face. Nice design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The green and white sheilds work really well with them. I do see a willow tree too. ;)

    ReplyDelete