Monday 18 January 2016

From MilesR:28mm WW2 German Pioneers (185 Points)

Hmm a Monday morning mystery.  I had made comments on this entry from Miles and thought that it was queued up and ready to go this morning.  But when I checked today, it was back in draft form and my comments had disappeared.  Maybe Miles did one revisions, or maybe I had a academic/senior moment, maybe MilesR didn't like my feedback...

Some more 28mm WW2 stuff - the Start of a German Pioneer force.  Think of them as stablemates for the Russians.  Both the infantry and the Marder III tank are from Warlord.  The figures are plastics from the Warlord Pioneer box set and they are top notch - I highly recommend this set.  The Marder III is a resin and metal model from Warlord that comes with 2 crew figures and a handful of parts.



 The Warlord set comes with a lot of metal detail parts that have capture equipment and all sorts of bulky Pioneer stuff.

The sculpting and casting quality of these figures is much improved over the Warlord Soviets from earlier posts.  Warlord is really improving their game with the later plastic sets - not up to Perry standards but closing the gap.

 There's also a Goliath tracked mine - a remote controlled vehicle the Germans would drive up to a target and then detonate.  They weren't all that mechanically reliable but when  working could deliver 130 pounds of explosives to the target.

This is the first "large" WW2 German force I've done in field grey - everything else has been late war camo of DAK.

Like the Russians, there are some support troops to finish up here but this will be a good army for either Bolt Action or Chain of Command.  Both an MG42 machine gun and 81mm mortars teams that will be joining the ranks.  They'll need some more armor support but not sure what to get.
A Marder III Self Propelled Anti-Tabk gun - these were very effective tank killers.  This kit went together without any effort and was very easy to paint up.  The crew figures were so-so but since they are mostly hidden it doesn't really matter.

In terms of points there are 30 infantry figures plus the two crewman for 160 points, 15 for the Marder III and lets say 5 for the Goliath, which nets a grand total of 180 points with this entry.

Well done Miles, I liked these these the first time and I still like them now.  You've got a good basic German force with infantry and support.  I do like the Marder, a simple but effective design.  Nice detailing, especially the rivet detail and decals.
I'll echo Curt's earlier comment that we'd like to see more of your stuff in close ups.  they look good from afar but they seem to shy about close ups.  Also, I know that you've got some lovely terrain boards down in your secret villain lair ummm workshop.  Why not give us photos of your troops on these instead of the bare plywood?   Maybe with some terrain they might feel less shy about showing themselves.
Anyway, I'll give you 10 for the Goliath because I like it.  I've seen pictures of Tommies wth captured Goliaths - it looks like they overran a demented toyshop.  Add in the Marder and the men and that's a cool 185 points for you.

Right I'll get this posted before it disappears into the ether again.
 

17 comments:

  1. very nice additions to the German force. I knw nothing of Bolt action, but for Chain of command small and light vehicles are best, maybe an armoured car or an anti tank gun. It all looks good though and I would be delighted to see a close up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work I am a fan of the Marder and that on looks excellent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done and a nice change for the usual SS and big cats. For CoC a stug would be my next choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty nice stuff. Those goliath radio controlled tankies were they used a lot? They look cool but I can't imagine there having been quite a lot in action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Miles! :)

    @ Peter - funnily enough, the same thing happened to me with one of the Tuesday posts last week. I suspect that the poster had left their draft open then closed it on their computer after I'd done my edits, thereby overwriting what I'd done - that is probably what happened to you with this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously nether one of you were wearing your regulation tin foil hats while making those edits that disappeared. Not wearing them allows the diabolical Trilateral Commission the ability to try and control the challenge - don't be the weak link!

      Delete
  6. Great work Miles - this is really coming along nicely, a ton of output!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting and building work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You keep these coming at such a rate and the quality stays hige

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking work Miles!

    More closeups and get some more light on those minis! (he hollers with his 'Director's' voice trumpet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, master, please don't turn the hose on me again. I promise to set up my terrain boards and get some lighting. I am a Financial Services Professional - so you know you can trust me.

      Delete
  10. > Maybe Miles did one revisions, or maybe I had a academic/senior moment, maybe MilesR didn't like my feedback...
    Revisionist history at work again, almost as hard to nail down as his vaunted "statistics" it seems.

    Love that Marder III Miles. Really looks the biz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revisionist history - no way, it's the truth and I've manufactured the stats that prove it!

      Delete
  11. Well done! Especialy that Marder came out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent work on them all! I'm a huge fan of well equipped infantry, and these lads look set on that account! Having said that though, I am also liking your marder, a very appropriate support Vick for them, and it looks like it has lost it's factory fresh scent! ;)

    ReplyDelete