Monday 18 January 2016

From DavidL -28mm Warmachine: Scruffy Desperado Types (85 points)

January is a very busy month for me work-wise, but I'm still managing to put in a couple hours every evening, and here (finally) is my first significant accomplishment of the Challenge: a passel of figures for Warmachine.



These fellows (along with a Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew I painted a long time ago) are sufficient to field a good medium-sized force by the standards of the game. To be honest, the core concept of the force is meant to tweak the nose of my regular opponent, who usually fields the Cygnar faction. So here we have Magnus the Warlord, a traitor to his homeland of Cygnar, now a scruffy mercenary generalissimo conspiring to bring down Cygnar's current king.




He brings with him two Warjacks: the heavy Mangler and the light (and appropriately-named) Renegade. Although these are normally considered "mercenary" designs, Magnus has painted them in Cygnar blue--deep down inside, he still thinks of himself as a patriot--but life out in the swamps and badlands is tough, and the paint is peeling and chipping, the iron beneath beginning to rust.



To help in his plotting and endeavors, Magnus has contracted the services of the notorious bandit gang, Croe's Cutthroats. Armed with crossbows and "murder blades," these desperadoes are in it for the gold and plunder and couldn't care less about Magnus's political ambitions.


Even though my Warmachine/Hordes rules mastery remains woefully lacking, I'm looking forward to fielding these guys, and hopefully soon.

If the 'jacks are being scored as 28mm vehicles (as with ChrisH's entry), then that's 15 points each, plus 11 regular figures for 55 points.

David, great post!  I know approximately zip all about Warmachine, but these have a nice Rube Goldbergian steampunk feel to them.  You painted them up very nicely, I especially like the blue on the big machines and your weathering and rust work.  Is Magnus riding some Steampunk Segue?

15 comments:

  1. Love the finishing on the Jacks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection of Warjacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work David! The weathering on the Jacks are great but I particularly like the human figures, especially the fellow who's taking down the 'bot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great brushwork - I love those ominous warjacks. And as a fan of Horus, I sympathize with a guy who is sure he can do a better job than the current king.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the look of the guys in the bottom photos

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a fan of the Warmachine look/sculpting but I do recognise quality brushwork when I see it. Very nice indeed David!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah a kindred spirit,but yours do look a lot grittier than mine, well done sir

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rust and the detailing of the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice group of Warmachine! The Jacks look well worn and the mercs look better than the ones in the books!

    ReplyDelete