Sunday 19 March 2023

From ScottR: Final paint compilation - 28mm Pyrric Army figures for Hail Caesar (630 points)

 Hi all,

Pyrric Hail Caesar Army - Greek Component

Well I mentioned back in January that I would be out for a month as I travel the world for work.  I got back to Canada on the 18 of Feb with a month to go before end date.  I set my goal at 700 points and I had reached that before leaving.  My objective was to get my Celt Hail Caesar Army painted as part of the challenge and a couple of odd projects, Command stands, objectives and terrain.

So my Hail Caesar Celt Army deviated slightly and by adding Greek forces I could run a Pyrric Army which gave me the best of both looks.

So after returning on 18 Feb and taking a couple of days to work out my requirement.  I end up building several sets of Victrix packs.  This included two units of Pike Phalanx, including a unit of Agaraspids or Royal Pike, in this case I chose my version of the silver shields (Yes I know they were not Pyrric).


Silver Shield Phalanx





The next unit which I painted at the same time was another unit of Pike Phalanx.  Just standard 24 man unit this time.  My original Army for the Greek/Macedonians was going to be a Successor Army so I had a couple of sets of Selucid shield designs.  




I then had to make up some numbers of Greek Hoplites.  I already had a unit of 6 figures done before the competition started.  But these were done without any real plan.  So with Hail Caesar and Art de La Guere planned for gaming the old figures were set in movement trays and the new figures done on the standard 60 x 40mm bases we were planning to play with.  I finished another 18 in the same style as the first style to make a unit of 24.  These could also be used to add to my Clash of Spears Carthage Army.

So some random Greek mercenary bases were added.

New bases of 6 figures on a 60 x 40 .

The two right hand bases including the casualty taking a spear were the original sets done.  So from this unit of 24 only 12 (left) are during the competition.  Figures are on individual 20x20mm square.  These have been set inside a movement tray from Warbases in the UK.





The last infantry unit would be of course a Hoplite Spartan Unit.  They dont have any special values, but you cant run Greek hoplites without at least one unit of Spartans right????

I must admit the Little Big Man Studio Decals certainly make the figures stand out.  The base uniform is white Linothorac or Brass body Armour with red embelishments.





Spartan Command Stand.  



The  main infantry units were now done.  So next up are the light infantry which make up the smallest of the units for the rule sets with 2 figures per base.  I have some slinger and javelin light infantry units already painted.  I did base them for this rule set and didn't include them in the points claim as I was basing other stuff and well, the figures were already painted.

These are Cretan Light archers. I strung the bows using the stretch EZ Line used for aircraft and model ship rigging.  It is easy to do and is flex that if pulled it wont come away or break.  Adds a little bit of character I think.




The last part of the Army was to make up some command bases.  I will eventually make larger more elaborate bases for these but i needed some quick down and dirty bases as I have managed to get a couple of games in with Warlord Games new Hail Caesar II rules with my good friend Dennis Campbell (AKA in the painting Comp as DennsC).

My Command stands are a mix of warlord Games and Colonel Bills figures.  The two sub units are Philip of Macedon and Alexander the Great.  The main Commander is the Goddess Athena which I will claim for the Lady Sarah's Limousine', I dont think I have claimed so far although I have posted  a wealth of figures with female characters mixed in.  This is the first as a stand alone.

Philip I of Macedon



Alexander the Grteat

The Goddess Athena


While this figure is painted and it suits the need for the command piece in the games.  I did paint it using contrast.  Its ok, but I will repaint this using normal paints I think.  




The last unit done was the second elephant.  I was lucky I picked up two elephnats while I was still in the UK.  The second elephant had some extra red trim added so they could be told apart.




Ok so there we have the last months painting complete.  Here is a Picture of what was done less two stands of six hoplites.


The last piece of work was a terrain piece.  I dont usually bother with terrain too much.  But I have had this MDF Barn for some time and too be honest its one of my favourite pieces.  So it was about time I painted and etailed it.  It was pretty quick using and airbrush to do a base dark brown foloowed by several layers of highlight.  The roof was done using a WW2 German aircraft blue underwing colour pallette.  I then AK interactives wet earth paste for the ground and stables area.  This was drybrushed with Camo Choc Brown and dark sand from Vallejo.  lat was a flock mix and some shrubs.  I used some dark yellow/ochre 6mm grass for hay and some yellow foliage for colour.

The Barn




The End!

So for this last months work I was lucky in I had a couple of weeks leave to catch up on the last of it.  So i managed to do a fair bit for my Greek, later now to become my Pyrric Army for Hail caesar.  To be honest 90% was done using citadel Contrasts, which work well for this period of figures.  I was confident the look would be good based on some Hoplites I hads done in the past.

So Here we go:

Pyrric Infantry
28mm figures - 109 x 5 = 540 points
28mm mounted figures 1 x 8 = 8 points

28mm vehicle - 1 elephant 1 x 20 points
28mm crew  3 x 5 points = 15 points

For a total of 583 630 points

Athena - Lady Sarah Chariot....  Although not sure there is any benefit as I dint follow the map anyways.... :)

So the total I think is 583 590 points.  I set my original goal as 700 points so at the end I think I have done ok.  Thanks to team who ran this.  It has been a fun challenge and forced me to get alot of my 'pile' of shame painted.  So my thanks to Curtis and all those invlolved.

My congratulations to all the painters out there as well that have done some amazing work.  Until next time!

_____________________________________


You had a terrific early Challenge, Scott, and you came back with a great flourish! I love seeing all these ancients, especially the Spartans (I'm re-reading Pressfield's 'Gates of Fire'). I've added points for your terrain and a few from your math. A great points bomb to end things!

- Curt


9 comments:

  1. WOW is right!! Great work here Scott, I especially like the Spartans and their shield colour - they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a bomb! And so nicely painted, very neat. You have mastered the Contrast paints, I'd say. Well done and a good Challenge run from you, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great army! The hoplites in all their nice variety, to the serried ranks of the phalanges, to the great command figures and the magnificent elephant, all are marvellous. A fabulous way to end the Challenge, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant pointy sticks, the Spartans are really ace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Successor force, who wouldn't like pikes and elephants!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete