Sunday 19 March 2023

From BruceR: Clean up with one Prussian Silver Bayonet Officer and 10 Celtic Alternate Armies Elves (55pts)

All good things come to an end.  I was going to try and do a miniature a night and put another Silver Bayonet faction on the table.  The Prussians.  Last weekend I primed them and only got to one through the week.  

Here is a crusty old Prussian (Herr Blucher....wheeeney) officer assigned in his old age to the special unit branch to combat the dark forces (to include root sprouting troops) 

Here he is ready for any type of encounter with a shambling cabbage sprouting monster.








When Thursday hit, and it appeared we were in for another snow event with closed highways I decided to grab something old and different.  These are Alternative Armies (Sidhe) Celtic Elves.  Like all things AA they are chunky and great fun to paint.  

The story behind these crazy miniatures began with my entry into WHFB and the old world.  Back in the day (1989 on) GW miniatures were not so easily accessed in the US.  I was stationed at Ft. Carson, CO and stumbled on the wood elf box set of Scarlocks Wood Elves.  A Regiment of Renown produced by Citadel miniature.

I started my first small army.  As I could not find GW miniatures in bulk I turned to Alternative Armies and found Celtic Elves to support Scarlocks troops.  I painted a few units and have had these bad boys sitting in the shelf of opportunity ever since.  Multiple moves and 33 years later I decided to give the finger to the weather and blast out this crazy unit of Elves with a Celtic flavor.  These bad boys and girls have AA 1990 and Bob Olley scratched on the bottom.  

So here is a submission of old miniatures dusted off and painted.

The Start "O dark thirty" Saturday morning.


The finished product.  Oh, did I say they have great mustaches!











Thats a wrap for me.  I'd like to thank Curt and Sarah.  All the minions especially Milles.  Another great year and another dent in the pile.  

Stay well everybody.

Points:

11 28mm @ 5         55 pts.

Total                        55 pts.

________________________________________

Oh man, anther walk down memory lane. The crusty Prussian is fabulous (love his breastplate), but it's the Celtic Elves that steal the show for me. These are fantastic Bruce. I love the high contrast vibrancy of the colours and the basework is spot-on. I may have to see if I can track down a few for my collection. 

It was wonderful to have you with us this year, Bruce. I hope you can make it out for our next edition.

- Curt


10 comments:

  1. Loving those Celtic Elves, they bring back some memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celtic Elves with mustaches! And painted so lovely, good job, Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THESE! Superb brushwork on some epic sculpts there Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant work on these, Bruce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elves with mustaches?! What’s up next? Though the look quite fabulous. The Prussian steals the show for me though, he is absolutely amazing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Bruce, some really nice figures on show there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent Celtic Elves and the Prussian officer is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Celts but I love the Prussian best

    ReplyDelete