Sunday 19 March 2023

From Barks: The bitter end (27 points)

Here's the last odds and sods as I gaze at my distant points target. First, some movement trays from Knights of Dice. These hold either three or five 25mm round bases. The mdf remains are interesting negative spaces, maybe I should save these for swamp terrain?


Next, a wasteland robot. It's the non-seasonal version of the Xmas-o-tron I submitted way way back at the start of AHPC XIII. It's a free stl from Imitation of Life.


Some battlefield stakes, with Middle-earthlings for scale. 3D prints from Asgard Rising. I struggled with warping, even after softening with heat, over-bending and dumping in ice-cold water.



Next, a lone squig.

Penultimately, a sausage dog from Eureka. I have a weird relationship with dachshunds: they're annoyingly yappy but such a humorous shape! The Skirt Swisher & I get points for how many sausages we spot on a given day.* So, I couldn't pass up the opportunity for this little chap. I'd like it to become a pet for a Rogue Trader or Inquisitor, snapping angrily at the heels of eldritch horrors etc. If it's a boy, Fritz. A girl, Heidi.

Finally, I was unable to avoid the Call of the Turnip. I failed to get a proper unit up of Lord Barkington's Brownjackets, the tuber-worshipping tirailleurs. Instead, here are their mascots, the vicious spudlings. Again, 3D prints from IoL.

  • Bases: 5"x3"x3" thus 4 points
  • Stakes: 10x 4"x1"x1" thus 4 points
  • Robot: 1x28mm figures: 5 points
  • Sausage/ potatoes/ squig: I'm counting them as 15mm so 7x2 points: 14 points
  • Turnip28 Side Duel: 10 points

Thanks, everyone! See you at the wrap-up.

*Current record: 5. It was a pentasausage day.

________________________________________

Haha! A scattershot wrap-up, Barks! All of these are excellent (though the bases are a bit of a stretch), but I especially like the wasteland robot and the vicious spudlings (checking out that designer after sign-off...).

It's always a pleasure, Barks. Thank you for overseeing the Skull Duel and I hope we can count on your noggin for the next edition of the Challenge. Cheers mate!

- Curt 

14 comments:

  1. That's a great mixed bag of figures, Barks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brillaint submission, great teeth on the squig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Barks! I think you are on to something with the swamp terrain, some simular sized tiles and you have a modular forest board. Nice brushwork, but I like the robot and dachshund the best....so who won in the count, you or the Mrs!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both winners, the sausages spotted are shared!

      Delete
  4. Love the terrain and even the spuds, Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, Barjs, particularly the dachshund and the dwing. The stakes are also fine, and a very versatile item too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they'll be useful in a few settings.

      Delete
  6. Love the Spudlings - they remind me of the podlings from The Dark Crystal, once they have been drained of essence! Great to see you join the Turnip fray mate

    Might need to print some of those stakes myself - they look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really slipped on the Turnip front, but had to get something in.

      If I only had to do one stake I could make it old-school style, but lots calls for a printjob.

      Delete
  7. Great mixed bag. Love the sausage dog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mixed bag and I would definately keep the irregular base frame, but then I tend to keep everything?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete