Sunday 19 March 2023

From PhilH: Superheroes? Nah, Supervillains! (32 Points)

Quick jaunt to the Superheroes studio (backtracking through B&W) while I wait to put the finishing touches to my Director’s Chair submission. I’ve deliberately not been doing much Marvel Crisis Protocol this challenge: while I enjoy working on the for me they’re time consuming and not points efficient. I wanted to spend the winter pushing on to get a bit more done. But for this studio I picked out one I had ready to go, who wouldn’t take long: Captain America’s arch nemesis, Red Skull from the core set.


I did alas totally overdo the OSL effect from the Cosmic Cube. The camera hated it too, the colours on this photo are all off. Funny, I’m normally quite confident at getting a subtle effect that I like, but completely overworked it. Frustrating. I’ll probably go back and redo his arm and face sometime, but 1). I’ll probably never play Red Skull in game and 2). I’ve no time before the challenge end so you get him as he is. 



I also had another billboard terrain ready and painted it in the first days of the challenge, but only got around to doing the groundwork and billboard art yesterday. Alas it’s nothing to do with Red Skull, but rather a gentle jibe at my regular opponent who loves his X-Men and Brotherhood of Mutants.

Points wise, 7 for Red Skull as a 40mm model, I think I claimed 5 for the billboard in AHPCXII, plus 20 for the location is 32. Next, popping in on the Snowlord at Director’s Chair before 23:59!


______________________________________

Wonderful work, Phil. I'm not a huge superhero fan, but I did enjoy Captain America, and Red Skull was a particularly chilling character.  I know the frustration when your photography can't reflect the work, but I think this villain looks excellent, even though you're not entirely happy with him. I also like your send-up billboard. I'm sure your gaming friend will enjoy the subtle jibe. :)

Looking forward to your Director's Cut entry!

- Curt

13 comments:

  1. Really nice work Phil, esp the subdued tones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the bad photography - I was in a rush to get back to Han!

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Phill. Excellent work all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant painting and terrain, Phil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Red Skull looks great! I like the billboard too. Great job, Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maybe I’ll come to terms with it

      Delete
  5. Well I think Red Skull works rather well and nice billboard!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete