Sunday 19 March 2023

From PhilH: Last minute arrival at the Director’s Chair (27 Points)

Okay, what do you have in your collection that you’ve been avoiding, or perhaps you’ve been meaning to get to it but it always seems to get pushed to the back of the hobby desk?  I want you to dig deep for an award winning performance.”

I was thankful for a broad brief from our esteemed Challenge ringmaster, when I suggested I might make a run at the Director’s Chair. And I looked at my heap of prepped models, and there were a couple that fit the bill perfectly. I had plans but with seven days flex, it would be tight, but I thought I could make it. 

I’ll just paint the base on my planned DC entry while I finish off this Yellow Brick Road, won’t take me a jiffy…


…wait, how is it Thursday already?…


…it’s one model, how am I still working on this at 2100 on challenge close?


Yeah between this and that the other it wasn’t a great week for painting. I had to rejig my last Studios on Friday as I’d made little progress on my Director’s Chair and it was never going to get done. Well anyway, it seems fitting to finish the Challenge with something else from A Galaxy Far, Far Away instead. Having done Luke earlier in the Challenge, now for everyone's favourite scoundrel. Yes, damn straight he shoots first. 





He wasn’t a Challenge bugbear when I started him, but he became it as the week goes on. First, spot the deliberate mistake. Then the gloves took a wee while, don’t filmmakers think of the painters 45 years down the line? But he’s pretty nicely painted if I do say so myself.



This is a 3D Print 'Smug Smuggler' from one of the major stl producers, Skullforge Studios. They captured Han's likeness faaaaar better than Fantasy Flight Games, whose sculpt is a travesty. 


To finish up, 7 points and if accepted for the nomination, the final location bonus of 20 to close out my challenge. 770 points! I think that’s an all time high score for me, I traditionally squeak over my points target in…*checks watch*…about an hours time. 

Which just leaves me to say, huge thanks to Curt for running the show once again, thanks to Miles for applying some maths to give us the veneer of credibility, to Sidney for the lovely Studio map, to my minion Martin and my fellow minions for keeping everyone on track and the points mathematically aligned. And thanks to everyone for your wonderful entries, gracious comments on each other’s posts and kindly banter. 

Take care all, until AHPC XIV!

__________________________

Wow, what a fabulous bit of brushwork there, Phil. I consider myself a big Star Wars fan, but have never picked up on Han wearing racing gloves. Now, that is something that makes your figure quite unique.  Also, congratulations on achieving a personal high score and all achieved hours before the finish. Well done my friend, and thanks again for all your fine work serving as our Friday Minion. Bravo!

- Curt

15 comments:

  1. Very nice work, Phil! The Correlian blood stripe? 🤔
    That is a very fine likness of Han and painted very well. The colors on him are great and the vest is perfect in sculpt and hue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I prefer the yellow. I think Han can afford a few pairs of trousers that didn’t make it into the movies.

      Delete
  2. That's a great looking Han Solo, Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Solo, Phil! Excellet painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Teemu. He’s worth a week’s work for sure

      Delete
  4. Great figure, he definitely looks like Han Solo! An fabulous painting job, Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect Hans Solo, excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice work on this figure.

    ReplyDelete