Sunday 19 March 2023

From Ians:Odds and Sods: 458pts

Well I have not posted for awhile as I lost my mojo with painting.  So I have tried to finish off units for existing armies, to that extent the post today is a mixed bag of projects, although i have started in true wargamers style a new army.

As with last years challenge i have got the timing wrong on when the challenge ends with another Roman Auxiliary, Swedish infantry regiment and numerous 6mm Russian Cossacks, Generals,  Artillery and Jager's awaiting finishing off.  

So here goes, first off are some middle imperial roman figures to go alongside my new ancient 15mm Plamyran Army which featured earlier in the challenge.  All figures are from the Plastic Soldier range of Late Romans, so we have a unit each of auxiliary infantry and Cavalry.  The Shield transfers are from forged in battle mid roman range.  So I read how to apply the transfers and on the infantry I followed the instructions, that is when I realised they were a bit small for the shields and had to paint round them.  So for the cavalry I ignored the instructions and instead of painting the shields white then apply transfers I painted them blue and the result is! Well, you can see the result, will not be doing that again.

The plan with all my armies is to do a core of around 1000pts (These pts are for the rules we use at the club) and then do several allied formations of around 250pts.

Auxiliary Infantry:



 

Auxiliary Cavalry: Just broke of the standard 




 

Next up is a unit of Danish Infantry for the 1700 era, this is the last unit for the Danish force in Ireland.  The figures are from irregular miniatures, the flags are still in the post as I forgot this regiment when ordering the flags for this army.  These guys are extremely powerful in the rules we use at the club and as such you do not get much for your pts, yet again i turn up with an army and the rules/points system get change, looks like a rewrite of the rules is now overdue.

 

 


 


 New Project:

A couple a weeks ago during a late renaissance game at the club a comment was made that we needed more armies, so that night I checked eBay and managed to get 160 figures at the exact ratio of pike to shotte I needed apart from musicians.  So that began the start of a Swedish thirty years war army.

These are the four of the 10 planned regiments, I have no idea about the figure origins, although they might be Essex and Matchlock .  The regiments depicted are:

Schlammersdorf regiment




Swedish Blue regiment - Not sure if New or Old but as figures are second hand i will assume Old





Swedish Red regiment: No standards as yet as have not made up mind on which ones to use.






Swedish Yellow regiment (Unfortunately the order for extra musicians has not arrived so command base is missing a figure and not finished.






The flags are from a website anglefire.

Last but not least is the last four Russian Infantry battalions for sackens corps 1813. That gives me 19 battalions each of 96 figures so 1824 figures in total.  Still not happy with flags but attempts to insert wire into strips has resulted in breakages every time.



 

Points:

Roman Auxiliary Infantry – 12 x 15mm Figs each 2pts = 24pts

Roman Auxiliary Cavalry – 12x 15mm Figs each 4pts = 48pts

Danish Infantry – 18 x 15mm Figs each 2pts = 36pts

Swedish Infantry – 79 x 15mm Figs each 2pts = 158 pts

Russian Infantry - 384 x 6mm Figs each 0.5 pts = 192pts

Total 458pts 


_________________________________

Great work on your rally on this last day, Ian. These figures look excellent, especially your 30YW and Russian Napoleonics. 

- Curt

11 comments:

  1. Have I had points deducted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff and lovely variety

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice entry, Ian, lots and lots of pretty minis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, Ian. I love the Romans and your little Russians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Ian! I really like the swedes a lot, they look great especially the basing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swedes were and after thought and only had a week to do some. I really like buying second hand figures on ebay. I set myself a limit of 25p a foot figure and 50p for a mounted figure for 15mm. I loose alot of auctions but every so often i get a really bargin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking Romans and the 30 years war figures look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, really like the TYW stuff

    ReplyDelete