Sunday 19 March 2023

From TeemuL: Soulraid [Director's Chair] (45 points)

"So now we are almost ready to start actually shooting the movie, if you only pass the Director's Chair Challenge, you shall direct our fantastic adventure and rest will be history. I really like the colours you have chosen for your final practice movie, but please hurry up and move on. Once the Challenge is passed, of course."

For my Director's Chair Challenge Curt asked me to choose something I have neglected for a while for a reason or another... It took a while to create a shortish list and finally Snowlord asked me to paint this Warhammer Underworlds warband, which has that cute crab - when this set was released roughly two years ago, I immediately bought it, even though I don't play Underworlds (Shadespire as it usually called) and my AoS gaming has been declining since the 2nd edition. But the Director's Chair Challenge asked me to paint them and now they are ready. On top you can see the leader of the band, don't ask me who they are, since I can't remember and I don't actually play the game.



Then here is a backup warrior or something like that. I painted all these minis mainly with Contrast paints and then drybrushed with some lighter colours to tie the colours together and create universal lightning. The bases are ready made, lots of small details, which I tried to pick up. And yes, there are lots of small details on the minis, too - too many in fact, I didn't bother to pick them up all. There are some, which I should have, like the details on the purple "loincloth" of the warrior above.



Third member is a warrior, too. More close combat oriented than the previous, may be a minor hero or a champion. I like the blade of this one, wet blended with Contrasts. As you can see, I used quite a lot of colours with all of these, but they still manage to look a bit unified. I restricted my palet, no greens at all. Sometimes I like to challenge myself like this and it keeps the colour count low.



The fourth one is some kind of battle fish, I think. A bit exotic one, I think it lives in the deep and dark waters, and has that small light source to lure victims. How this one fares in battle against creatures in Mortal Realms, I don't know - probably as good as a horse, so elite. Some wetblending here too.



And then the star of the show, the crab! I thought I could paint it better, but this is how it turned out. There are different reds, but they do not show up very well - not in the camera and not in live, either.


I made an attempt to create natural colour shift on the crab, but it is barely visible, because the transition is pretty much underneath. Here you can see some it, but it doesn't look that good.

That is 5 28mm minis, all from Games Workshop for 25 points and 20 points for the Challenge location. If that qualifies, I try to conquer two more studios before the Challenge ends.

Marvellous work, Teemu. The models all look very bright and vibrant. I know the crab is supposed to be the star mini of that set, but personally I like what you have done with the fish. The black transition on the fins makes it look more lifelike. I'm not entirely sure how much use a fish will be in a dungeon, but it does look pretty ferocious. 
-StuartL

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Stuart! The fish looks nice, I agree. Contrasts work usually better on animals than humans. And those Idoneths know spells, which create magic water on ground allowing them to be under water all the time. Clever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Terrific work Teemu. The colours you've chosen are excellent - very vibrant and eye-catching. You may not have liked your work on the crab, but I think it looks excellent. My faves are the leader and the Battlefish. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! Let's say I'm quite happy with the crab, the different reds are not that different, but I guess it is good. May be not what I expected, different, but good. The fish is great, too.

      Delete
  3. Well done and the Crab is ACE Teemu. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bruce! I went quite wild with the colours.

      Delete
  4. Great seafood buffet. Love the angler fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Fish turned out great, even though it was a rather simple paint job.

      Delete
  5. An excellent finish to your studio tour, Teemu! I really like the bright colours, and for me the fish is the star of the show. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Studio tour doesn't end here, but a fitting entry for Director's Chair, I agree. Fish seems to be a big favourite. :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking exotic warband!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Playing catch up - Brilliant Teemu. love the sea creatures

    ReplyDelete