Sunday 19 March 2023

From TeemuL: Drows [Books] (40 points)

"I guess you have heard the news? Warner Bros has bought the rights for Lotr and, well, we aren't Warner Bros... I though we already had the rights and everything was ready to go, but this is show business. But not be sad, I have already fixed the situation, almost. Instead of directing Murin and Drar adventure movie in Middle-Earth you will be directing Murrin and Drarr adventure movie in Forgotten Realms! Yes, we almost have the rights for Dungeons & Dragons, and some small adjustments later we are ready to go. The worlds are pretty similar, elfs and dwarfs and orcs and so, but we need some dark elfs, or drows. And we already have here the first wannabes, welcome!"


This post almost didn't exist. It was Saturday morning when I realized, that after painting loads of Lotr minis, I hadn't visited the Books studio! And I didn't have any primed. Luckily I had primed these a couple of weeks ago and they fit the Books criteria, so here you are.


These three are (from left to right) Yvonnel  Baenre, Dinin Do'Urden (in Drider form) and Jarlaxle Baenre. Painted rather quickly with Contrast paints, but these plastic board game minis, so not very high quality. They will do though, and I'm quite happy with the cobble stone basing, which I have used on all of my Adventures of Drizz Do'Urden Board game minis - it sets them nicely in the dungeons or streets.

And here is the final map. I have some primed Soviet SPGs for Historical Drama, but no time to paint them. I have couple of Matchbox cars for Arthouse, but they are still in the packages... I had some ideas for Gift Shop and I could have created something for Yellow Brick Road, too, but originally I was supposed to just quickly go around the Studios and not complete everything, but then I got obsessed with bonus points. :)


As for points, these are all 28mm minis and I'd say Dinin is mounted, so 10 for him/her (in the lore driders have no sex apparently) and 5 each for the others. And 20 for Studio, total of 40. I'll create a wrap-up post next week, but now it is time to go to bed. Have a nice and energetic final hours!

____________________________

This is wonderful brushwork, Teemu - so vibrant and colourful. I really like the skin (carapace?) tone of the Drider and cobblestone effect is simple, but works very well. I'm delighted that you got drawn in by the themes and enjoyed their various challenges. We'll see what we can dream up for next year for you.

- Curt

16 comments:

  1. Super work here Teemu and the cobblestones look great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas! I like the cobblestone, and it's quite easy to do after some practice.

      Delete
  2. Greta brush work Teemu. The drow figures takes me back to early AD&D. The drow were the skaven of the d&d world. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them very much Teemu, although I didn’t get the book reference. Says more about me, I guess. Fine painting though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, D&D is huge RPG system, but the worlds are supported with a wide array of books, for example from R.A.Salvatore, Icewind Dale, Legend if Drizzt etc.

      Delete
  4. Another impressive entry Teemu, you've had a great challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a great Challenge, I managed to empty couple of boxes. Always nicer than having some half empty boxes. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Barks! It is quite dark, simple, but still looks quite good.

      Delete
  6. Excellent entry,lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete