Sunday 19 March 2023

From KerryT: The final cut -The Baron Munchausen - for the Director's chair (55 points)

 Morning afternoon & evening all

This will be my final post for the challenge and having rushed home from work today I tried to get a  few more things finished but failed. One consistent aspect of this challenge for me has been the unreasonable expectation I placed on myself each and every week to get things completed in an insufficiently allotted time frame. I'm definitely a slow learner.


Wikipedia quote- "Baron Munchausen's Narrative of his Marvellous Travels and Campaigns in Russia is a 1785 novel about a fictional German nobleman written by the German writer Rudolf Erich Raspe". These are a series of ridiculously exaggerated tales of his exploits

Eureka Miniatures produced a  lovely model of the Baron Munchausen a few years ago and I painted one up using him to led my imaginary 18th century forces of Silverfernia.

This first model depicted the Baron watering his horse after making an escape from his foes during which his horse's rear end  was sliced off when a closing portcullis severed this. The Baron apparently did not notice until water gushed out from his half an horse when drinking from a fountain.

The original Baron painted in 2012

This is my avatar

My recollection of the tale is that then undaunted, the two ends of the horse were sutured together using some nearby tree saplings allowing the Baron to carry on with his exploits. To stretch an even longer tale further it then appears that not only did the sapling successfully unite the two ends of the severed horse but it subsequently took root and grew into a tree. This of course allowed the Baron to continue his travels in the comfort of his own personal patch of shade!

This story is depicted in a second and later sculpt produced by Eureka and one that I finished today for my submission to the Director's chair having been tasked by Curt to....

"Do you have something in your collection that you've been avoiding due to complexity, size, etc? Or perhaps you have something that you've been wanting to do, but it always seems to get pushed to the back of the queue? If any of these resonate with you then lets see if we can blitz to get it done!"

I've had this model for perhaps as long as 10 years but decided it might be time to finish it off














I also decided it would be nice to have a final ride in Lady Sarah's Limousine and intended to ask her to take me to the Swords & Sandals studio but I failed to complete the requisite figures in time. I though I might just still have a little trip around the block courtesy of my last female miniature a Steampunk figure given out to attendees of the Salute show of 2016.






In summary

1 x28 mm Mounted and 1 foot figure = 15 points

Lady Sarah's Limousine @ 20 points

Director's chair ? 20 points

Many thanks and best wishes to all, hope to see you next year!


_____________________________________

While the steampunk lass is marvellous (though perhaps a bit over accessorised), what a triumph to have Baron Munchausen as both your Director's Chair submission and your final entry. Absolutely lovely brushwork, Kerry. I didn't know that Eureka did these figures (not surprising, considering their criminally impenetrable website), but they are really superb, especially highlighted by your fine work. I love the riot of colour that makes up Munchausen's pelisse, dolman, shako and horse furniture. A tailor's delight, or nightmare, I don't know which. No matter, it's all fabulous stuff. 

I'm delighted you had a good Challenge, Kerry, and I hope to see you with us for the 14th edition.

- Curt

17 comments:

  1. Nice work, Kerry! I haven't read the book, but it is a favorite movie. The sculpt definitely captures the eccentric Baron well and I am certain he would approve of the color too. Are you sure the steamjpunk miss is getting a limousine ride or is it part of the Barons nonlinear master plan!? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, who knows with the Baron but there'll certainly be a tale at the end of it!

      Delete
  2. Baron Munchy has it made in the shade and the steampunk lass is great too! Well done Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the classic heroes, and boy have you done him proud! Fantastic painting Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very colourful and neat painting and wonderful minis, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both the Baron and the SteamPunk lass are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful figure. I’ve the bright colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent version of the good Baron and the steampunk figure has come up well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete