Friday 20 March 2020

From JasperO: The sound of deadlines... (80 points)

As they go whooshing by. All week, as far as I wasn't worrying about how the C-thing would impact magazine publishing, I'd had it in my mind that I could spend all of Saturday finishing my projects. Quod - as they say - non. So today I got the vehicles I planned to finish tomorrow in a presentable state. I'm so close to actually gaining my target, darn it, I want to get there! Night-time is unfortunately not the best for photography either...




Excuses out of the way, I'm quite pleased with how this Blitzkrieg Sherman Jumbo came out. It's a very nice casting, but I replaced the barrel which was of the somewhat undefined stick of banana-pewter type with a spare plastic Sherman barrel. Bless those spare parts! The commander is a metal Rubicon figure and the stowage a mixture of Rubicon, Warlord and Debris of War items.



Next, inspired by discussions among the Lardies of Recce in WW2 (and, as so many, liking WW2 armoured cars of all types), I made a Heavy Troop, consisting of a Warlord Dingo and two Warlord AEC Mark IIIs. Straight out of the box with a variety of stowage piled on from similar sources as the Jumbo, Warlord decals and a so-so attempt at painting the Corps insignia for VIII Corps so they'd be properly marked out as belonging to the 2nd Household Cavalry Regiment. It used to be the Corps Recce for VIII Corps and still carried those markings during Market Garden when it was subordinated to the Guards Armoured Division and was the first unit to contact the Poles at Driel.



Four 1/56 vehicles makes for 80 points I think and should carry me across my 400 points goal?


Lovely work on these vehicles Jasper! You even worked in a song reference to your post title - that may be a first for this year's Challenge (we've had several song references in the body of posts).

Surely you need another Dingo for the Troop that contacted the Poles at Driel? I do hope it will arrive soon. Thanks once again for joining us in the Challenge and I hope all of you at WSS and Karwansaray are well,

TamsinP

8 comments:

  1. Excellent set of vehicles Jasper. The dingo has always been a fave of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quartet of allied armoured vehicles!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking excellent! Hoping to see these pieces in the flesh at the Arnhem Lard Day later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking armour Jasper. I particularly like the weathering and stowage. Also, great work on pipping Jasper and hitting your points target. :)

    ReplyDelete