Friday 20 March 2020

From SidneyR: The Laarden Field Deputies, 1688, and the Flemish village of Hoetveld (20 points)



Here's my last contribution to Challenge X, with a small vignette of the "Field Deputies of Laarden".  And, as with a number of my other painting contributions this Challenge, I've created the last of the (self-indulgent, and frankly rather silly) "Characters of Laarden" collectible cards to allow you to complete the set!


In the seventeenth century, "Field Deputies" were Dutch civil representatives appointed to shadow important field commanders on campaign, ensuring - among other things - that that the wishes of the Dutch Stadtholder and the States-General were represented in the councils of war.  In such positions, the Field Deputies could be a potential brake on aggressive action by allied commanders such as the Duke of Marlborough.




And here is the Laarden equivalent - two Field Deputies surveying the battlefield, no doubt concerned by any attempt from the commanders of the Laarden forces to counter-attack or challenge the opposing French army in open battle.  I needed to rush the painting of these figures - they were rather "11th hour" - but I tried to complete them in sombre tones of black, browns and grey.  As would befit, of course, gentlemen of probity, caution and (no doubt) property interests.




As for the figures, both Field Deputies are Old Glory 28mm figures, possibly from their pirate range!  The accompanying grenadier is from Dixon Miniatures.  I swapped the head of one of the Field Deputies for a Bicorne head, making him look "more seventeenth century".   But, fortunately, given the timing, for these modest and conservative figures, no greenstuff, or fancy feathers needed to be added!



I picked up the gabions at Colours, last year.  I think they were pointed out by fellow-Challenger, my good friend Mark "Peaches" Backhouse.  I can't remember where I bought them, but they painted up a treat.  The small drum, with accompanying campaigning map is, I think, from Wargames Foundry - rescued from an ECW command set.



And here's their character card, placed in the center of the "Characters of Laarden" collection for Challenge X.


And that brings to an end my 28mm figures for Challenge X.  The last thing I have to post is a small, fantasy village for my 2mm collection, sold to me some years ago by my good friend Matt Moran.  I've repainted it from Matt's verdant green, summer shades to be a chilly 2mm representation of a Flanders village, located close to Laarden, being the village of Hoetveld.








Painting Hoetveld was a lovely final distraction.  I liked creating the physical impression of cold, adding frosted water and "1mm snow" (basically cotton dust, in snow drifts), representing a different age and a different place to the world of March 2020 - and that is really what our wonderful hobby is all about!

Oh, sorry, I almost forgot.  The points?  Three 28mm figures, at 5 points each adds 15 points to my total.  


I wasn't sure about the 2mm village - it seems too small to be worthy of a terrain points value of 20, but may I suggest 5 points?


So, in total, another 20 points to finish the Challenge with.  A huge thank you to Curt, all of the Minions and all my fellow Challengers for being here at the end!


*******


What a fabulous way to end your Challenge - lovely work on the vignette and village Sidney!

TamsinP

12 comments:

  1. Laarden Top Trumps? Those villages are little works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe...thanks Barks. "" Laarden Top Trumps.... it's actually not a bad idea! Coming soon to a future Challenge as a fun prize, perhaps?

      Delete
  2. Gobstopping stuff Sydney, just beautiful. I love the field deputies, they sound like 17th century Representatives of the People or Komissars. hat snowy village is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are men with sensible shoes, and modest lunches, Peter! "Careful now, let's not be too hasty!" ;)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous figures and a lovely snowy village!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work as always Sidney - fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Field Deputy and the snow-coverd village are a wonderful way to conclude your Challenge, Sid. I can almost hear this be-wigged chap crying out, 'Now listen here, those rosebushes over there are just now nicely taking root, so you mind your shovel, AND you'll have to move these beastly gabions as they're blocking the manor's sightlines to the peach orchard... ' Fabulous stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete