Friday 20 March 2020

From MilesR: Phase 1 of my Russo-Japanese War Project (465 points)


My last submission for the year's challenge is a first installment on a new project for me - The Russo Japanese War in 6mm.  All the figures are from the Baccus WW1 range - technically they're all russians as the uniforms are very similar except for color.  2 Full Russian Siberian divisions on the right and 2 Japanese divisions of the left.  Each base is a battalion or equivalent.  I did vary the ground coloring shade to aid players in keeping track of who is who.


First up are the Russians.  The biggest difference between Russian and Japanese formations is the Russians only had a handful of machine guns pre division.  The actual strength of Siberian divisions varied wildly, especially at the beginning of the war but these are set to full strength.


Russian Corps support is some artillery and machine guns plus a squadron of cossacks.  The stands in the back are extras and will join another Russian division once I finish painting it up,


Facing the Russians are two Japanese divisions plus a Kobe Infantry brigade


Japanese Corp support is similar to the Russians but with the addition of some siege artillery batteries that might come in handy at Port Arthur.

One of my fellow club memebers, Josh, inspired this project with a Gallipoli themed game he ran a few months go - here a picture of the boards he used:


I plan on building something similar to do Port Arthur, but that will happen post Challenge X.

In terms of points, I painted up a lot of teeny tiny 6mm chaps

Figure Count

Infantry & Artillery Crew 854 *.5 = 427
Cav & Guns: 38 *1 = 38
Total Points = 465

I'd like to thank Curt and my fellow minions for stage yet another wonderful event.  I also want to also again thank my fellow minioneers for stepping in when I had to deal with some family health issues.  I am deeply grateful.




Ka-plop! Sandbags away! What? It's Russo-Japanese War from Miles, not Ray? Oh, in 6mm. It must be Miles then. Sorry - I was having flashbacks to the AHPC 3 when a "challenger who shall not be named (Ray, the Universal High Imperial King of Sandbagging) dropped the ultimate barrage of points bombs in the final hours of the Challenge, all of his very same war (but in 15mm).

(slight) Kaboom! And Miles bows out on a very impressive tiny-scale points bomb. Fantastic work, oh great Mathaumaturgist, creator of the SOD (TM).

465 points it is!

TamsinP
*hic" (I may or may not have consumed a few large measures of 12yo Bunnahabhain)

5 comments:

  1. Wow great project Miles. Looking forward to seeing Port Arthur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, where's the terrain?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great, but I would really like a closer look at the figures though I understand they might not let themselves be photographed well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super looking pair of tiny armies!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete