Friday 20 March 2020

From TeemuL: Last stop at Sander's Sand Dunes (78 points)

"Ah, there's the sea again, let's go home!"
"Let's just get around that red tube, doesn't look healthy."
"Everything here looks quite red, by the way..."
"And do we have a ship?"


Here's my offering to the Sander's Sand Dunes, a big red terrain piece for the Warhammer 40k universe. Primarily it will be used in our on going Kill Team campaign, some Imperial scenery for my Magma Hounds to conquer.


I guess I primed this piece (and couple of others) red a year ago, so it was about time to get it finished. GW terrain is nice, it has details. On the other hand, it is painful to paint, since there are so many details. All the pipes, bolts etc... I didn't bother too much, I picked up the main things with colors, which would make it look interesting, but still red. Red, yellow and black is always a good combo, unless you want to stay in the shadows. I gave it wash of Reikland Flesh Shade, but I guess I need to give it some drybrushing after the Challenge. I don't have time today and I don't want to put alarm clock for Saturday morning..


And then something completely different. Some of us in our gaming group have the mantra "2k 4"x6" matched play" and everything else is for the kids. I generally like smaller games and games with narrative. Some of us have played around with a thought, that once we get old enough, we buy pipes, tobacco jackets and start playing historical games - they are the real games where 2k means the amount of figures on the table, not some obscure point system. Well, we are not that old yet, but one of us got almost secretly married few weeks ago. One of us heard of it and the rest of us started to think a proper gift. There was all kind of ideas of Oldhammer and fancy new terrain, but then one of us dropped the line "is this the right time for historicals?" We quickly decided, that Napoleonics it should be and started to look for them. Unfortunately it is a quite niche here in Finland, but we found one shop where we could get some French in time. I decided to save on the posting and ordered a pack of Prussians at the same time - there needs to be the opposing force, of course. Well, the guy was surprised and happy with the gift and quite soon I realized, that I need to start my army before the Challenge ends - this is the main inspiration for me on the various miniatures, so giving something back. Here are the first 5 proud Prussians.


The color scheme is copied from the backside of the box (Italeri), so I don't know what regiment they are and how truthful their colors are. I didn't paint the buttons (or count them). And of course I don't know what rules we are going to use. I made some investigations, and 4-6 soldiers on foot per 40x40 base seems quite common. I thought that may be 2-3 riders on similar base would be ok as well. It was quite difficult to get three on one base, so I guess I'll put two on each in the future.


Anyway, I'm quite happy how they turned up, I'm going to paint the rest of the pack quite soon, because they were rather quick to paint and I like to see big unit of them on the table (or shelf). I have already looked at Old Glory's 15mm range to get some commander and other stuff. I need to start reading some history books as well, since although I know the big picture, the smaller details, battles and participating forces are quite unknown to me.


I put some multipurpose filler on the bases to hide the plastic bases and then GW Agrellan Badland on top of that to create a dryish ground for them. Then some drybrushing and couple of tufts.


Pointswise this should be:
8 for the terrain (84 cubic inches)
30 for the location
20 for the 5 15mm cavalry
58 total

I won't make the magical 750 point barrier, but then I realized, that we don't have those threshold limits this year, so I'm happy with these. I might even finish in the top half... This was the final post (except the conclusion post later), thank you all!

EDIT: These are not 15mm as I said, they are 1/72, so maybe 20mm or something like that depending on the position of the Moon.

Edit 2: Score adjusted for the cavalry being 20mm. TamsinP

MilesR: TeemuL - what a very nice final entry.  Well done Sir

4 comments:

  1. Surely those cav are bigger than 15mm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Teemu, like that big red piece of terrain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea for the Dunes mate. Ithink Miles is right, the Italeri riders would be 1:72 (unless they now produce them in 1:54 too) and thus 20mm is the right guess. Great work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice terrain and welcome to the historical side!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete