Friday 20 March 2020

From SamuliS: Parting shots (182 points)

Time for my last post of the challenge and this time a slightly larger one as I'm finishing up a lot of stuff that was about 95% finished, but kind of got sidetracked with other stuff before this.


These were actually mostly painted during the end of February when I had a one week holiday ending in a Flames of War tournament where I wanted to play with a new army. With all the business travel needed I didn't really get around to painting a lot of it before the final week before the tournament. Quite long hours at the painting desk and I almost got these fully finished for the games there. Just some minor finishing touches were needed and I've been doing those over the past couple of weeks with the last ones finished today.



The guns are older metal models from Battlefront, while the vehicles are new plastic offerings. To be honest on the vehicles and even on the guns I much prefer the plastic ones. The only thing that would be nice to see was some blister packs of extra stowage that could be used to spice them up a bit. On the new infantry I'm still not sure if I like them or not. These mortar crewmen are definitely far more detailed than the metal ones, but the details are actually almost too sharp and they are bit of a pain to paint as it's sometimes hard to get paint to flow into some of the areas as the surrounding detail is too sharp and my brushes won't bend there.



Photo quality is pretty crap as I quickly took these with my mobile phone where they looked decent enough on the screen. Not that great when opened up in a larger view on the computer, but I guess good enough for the final push. No time to take new pics as the minis are already packed away and I've got an early train to catch to get to a wedding on the other side of Finland. Will be an interesting trip with the Coronavirus lockdowns in place, but at least for now there are no train cancellations.

So my final entry comes with 5 tanks, 3 halftracks (6 were submitted already before), 8 guns and 43 infantry figures spread over the gun crews and mortar halftracks. That brings in 182 points more taking me well over my target of 600 points. To be honest I managed to paint up far more than I ever expected during the challenge. I'm pretty happy about the results especially considering that I spent more time overseas on business trips than at home during the challenge.

Once again thanks to Curt, Sarah and all the Minions for organizing another great challenge! It's always one of the highlights of the hobby year! Hopefully the next time around I'll be able to participate a bit better and follow up on everyones entries more actively!



Congrats on hitting your target! Lovely work on this lot and it's been good to have you with us for another season!

TamsinP

4 comments: