Friday 20 March 2020

From GregB: Some 10mm FPW Bavarians (50 Points)

10mm Bavarians for the Franco-Prussian War. Figures from Pendraken.
I hope Nick enjoys this one!

I had big plans to finish AHPC X with a bang, some big-time entries that would score points and demonstrate how much fun I have sharing my painting with this group.  Alas, world events have not cooperated.  I've barely been able to Minion properly, much less paint anything this week.  So I'll settle for cramming this one small submission in for a final dose of points.  These are 10mm Bavarians for the Franco-Prussian War.  The figures (and flag) are all from the excellent Pendraken.

Infantry in cornflower blue tunics. You can't miss the Bavarians!
When war broke out between France and Prussia in the summer of 1870, the Kingdom of Bavaria sent a major contingent to join the forces of Prussia and the North German Confederation.  From the initial battle at Wissembourg through the seige of Paris and many battles against the stubborn French Republican regime which replaced the fallen government of Napoleon III, the Bavarians played a major role in the Franco-Prussian War.

Command group in the middle...depending on the system, each base could represent one battalion from the regiment...or the three bases together could represent one battalion...all depends on the rules.
Wissembourg is a particular scenario I want to start with (before moving on to the larger battles in the period) and a division (and more) of Bavarians were part of that engagement. These figures are meant to be part of that scenario, representing a regiment of infantry and a regiment of cheveauxleger cavalry.  There are two individually-based mounted officers as well to represent relevant layers of command, depending on the rules system being used.

Chevauxlegers - Bavarian "light" cavalry.
I do hope Nick is able to see these - I was thinking of him as I set about painting these fellows! He has been an enthusiastic supporter of my Franco-Prussian War project, and also patiently encouraging me to add some Bavarian content...so here we are!

Again, these could represent one regiment, two regiments...it all depends on the rules being used.

Scoring purposes - we have 30 x 10mm infantry, and 10 x 10mm cavalry, which I think nets 50 points.

Mounted officers to serve as command markers.
This will be my last post for AHPC X. Many, many thanks to all participants.  Your comments and content really helped to inspire my hobby efforts.  I also want to thank my fellow minions for their help. I want to particularly recognize Tamsin - not only is she a great painter, but a stalwart minion, posting something like 700 posts this week alone (I can't count, that's why we have Miles).  I also want to acknowledge Miles' great contribution, made while facing some difficulties in the real world.

And of course I salute my great friend Curt - thanks again dude, this has been so much fun. I'm so sorry our visit got cut short this winter, and I hope we can get together again soon.

Happy painting and gaming to all.  Be safe and healthy, my best wishes to you all. It's been truly fun. Cheers.

_________________________________

These Bavarians are fabulous Greg. As you've commented many time, these 10mm castings from Pendraken are the bomb, especially when they benefit from a skilled brushmeister such as your good self. I'm particularly amazed at your work on the chevauxleger cavalry. Wow. That is very impressive. I very much look forward to seeing these close up and perhaps getting a game in soon.

Greg, thanks for all your help during the Challenge. Your Monday minioning was absolutely terrific, and I know that all your considered and kind comments were very much appreciated by those who posted on your day. See you soon, mon ami!

-Curt

10 comments:

  1. Greg, your Franco-Prussian stuff is always outstanding. Makes me want to bust out that Prissian corps I have in storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely an inspiring post, you have managed to make them recognisable from a distance even in this scale, plain awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful painting and basing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really excellent work, Greg!! You've really made those Bavarians come to life - they'll look most splendid marching on Sedan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Bavarians Greg, I want to see these guys in action. IIRC Napoleon III had some idea that the Bavarians would act like in his great uncles days and join the French.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Greg these are wonderful! I demand an AAR featuring these fine chaps in all their cornflower blue goodness. Maybe I should give the FPW in 10mm a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nick, I'm glad you like them! I'm still a ways away from an AAR, but I'm getting there, and I'll be sure to share photos when the first game happens.

      And yes, you should give 10mm FPW a go yourself! :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous Bavarians! Lovely finish on these tiny chaps!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look brilliant Greg! They really do give that army feel to them at that scale.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete