Friday 20 March 2020

From PeteF: More Gribblieness - Kings of War Phantoms (56 points)



With the help of Contrast Paints and social distancing I'm ploughing through my Kings of War Nightstalkers.  The plan is to get them on the table quite fast while giving the army a hook by leaving clues to horror movies on most of the bases.

The Clue - Made from my own sticks

The clue for this unit of phantoms is more subtle than some of the others - I can remember watching this film at a small cinema in Notting Hill Gate - and being utterly freaked out by it. Did you get it?



The phantoms are large flying cavalry and part of the Nightstalkers faction. They don't hit particularly hard but being fast and nimble they can be used to threaten their enemies' flanks (an important aspect of the game) or even to fly over the top of an unsuspecting opponent and get into the rear of their army. A lot of the gameplay in Kings of War is scenario based and fast units can also be very useful for grabbing objectives in the last couple of turns.



I won't quite get to the end of my Nightstalkers painting before tomorrow night but I've now completed around three quarters of the army and am hoping to have time to submit two more monsters by the deadline.

Tortured souls imprisoned in the strange mist

Phantoms are heavy infantry and you're supposed to be able to fit each one on a 25mm square base - I had to change my basing plans and elevate some of the back row to fit 8 in a space that "should" be able to take ten. I liked how it turned out and might try something similar on the remaining units. It helped break up the monoposed monotony too.



These ghosties are 47mm tall so do we score them as 40mm (7 points each)? If so that would be 56 points for the unit of 8.




Your horror-film theme for this army has been a treat to see. And yes, I did get the film reference for this lot. I think I saw it at a small cinema in Soho (Panton Street?), but it didn't freak me out. Lovely work on these gribbley phantoms.

TamsinP


5 comments:

  1. I’ve drawn a blank on your clue. Was it the one with the ‘found footage’?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Youngsters wondering around the woods.

      Delete
  2. More horrors! Well done and great work pumping all this stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - it's been fun and a different from what I usually do (Ospreys and all that)

      Delete
  3. Another super looking horror unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete