Friday 20 March 2020

From PeterD Anglo Dutch Wars For Reidy's Reef (36 points)


Ok continuing with my run the table approach, I've got some Anglo Dutch Wars ships for Reidy's Reef.  Ships are 1/2400 scale from Tumbling Dice and there are two complete a British 4th and 5th rate.  No flags or name labels yet as I'm still playing around with Word to get these straight.



This project represents basically a swing and a mss for me, but I'll get it back on track come spring.  The Anglo Dutch Wars was to be my big project at the start of the challenge. However I got sidetracked...The ships are nicely cast but fiddly to assemble and it took multiple tries at getting the sails on each mast to get it right.  Meanwhile the Tumbling Dice War of the Pacific ships went together much quicker and so I got dug in finishing them off.  There are reasons - the 17th century rigging is more complex and the 19th century ships had slightly better connections.  Mostly though, I just didn't git her done.


If you want inspriration on doing this period have a look over at Barry Hilton's league of Augsburg blog.  he's been running a series of games using these ships and had a few of us act as admirals from away.  My squadron's had two actions, the first of which can be seen here with me as De Ruyter - I was pretty happy with the result and the games look amazing!


I am ok with my results so far, they are too dark, I need to add some brightwork and bling and they definitely need flags and labels.  I am reasonably happy with the se, again I tried for a green tinge to match the classic Dutch marine art of the period.

So at the end of the day I got my 4 yachts painted in the first days of the challenge, these two ships mid-challenge as a test run and then struggled along with the rest of the fleet.  I put a big push on this week, but decided not to rush it and slow down and make sure that I was happy with the results on the rest of them.

Points left on the workbench so that I can get them right.

This are ships for 30 points Reef bonus, and a brand new project started during the challenge for (unspecified) bones points.  Plus the 3 points each for the two ships.

I really should have done a Sandy Cheeks Aquatic squirrel challenge here - this is my fourth naval project this challenge including three scales, four wars and 3 different centuries.



As all three of his (currently) remaining posts are "ready" I'm going to post them as quick-fire as I can.

Nice ships Peter! Two more posts to go...

TamsinP

11 comments: